Nicholas's Reviews > The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality

The Crack in the Cosmic Egg by Joseph Chilton Pearce

bookshelves: non-fiction

I wasn't sure I'd made a good choice when I ordered this book, as I prefer my data empirical and this seemed to lean more towards the speculative. Coupled with the fact that it was written in the seventies, referenced Don Juan and held Sri Lankan firewalking to be the principle evidence in the flexibilty of reality, made me even more suspect of my own decision making process, but I proceeded to read it regardless. By the end of the first chapter my fears where not confirmed and I began to enjoy the book for what it is.
Basically it's subject matter is the power of belief systems and the extent to which they effect the presentation of reality. The author makes many references to Blake, Jung, William James, David Bohm, to name but a few, so many in fact that he seems, at times, to have no ideas of his own, but that's besides the point I feel, as this work is more of a synthesis of ideas.
I did get the feeling he was out of his depth criticising scientific methods, the suggested ability of scientists to create what they search for seemed to push the boundaries of credibility, but maybe I was reading him wrongly on this point. The final chapters got quite convoluted and preachy as well, which wasn't to my taste but it didn't spoil the overall impression the book made.
So overall there's enough sense talked and presented in a readable fashion to justify it's classic reputation in my view.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crack in the Cosmic Egg.

April 9, 2016 – Started Reading