Aimee's Reviews > Desolation

Desolation by Derek Landy

bookshelves: sent-from-publishers, read-in-2016

I received a copy of Desolation from HarperCollins New Zealand to review. You can read my review of the first book in the trilogy, Demon Road, here.

I thought Desolation would be a bit like Demon Road, with Amber and Milo on the road for a while before they found Desolation Hill. But they spent a few chapters on the road before they found the small town which is where the rest of the book takes place. But Desolation Hill was full of surprises so it’s not like it was boring.

There were a few new characters and I think some of them will be in the next book. There
were some friends that traveled across the country in a van (two girls, two guys and a dog) hunting the supernatural and put an end to whatever they found. Sound familiar to you? Well, they reminded me of Scooby Doo. They even had a dog. But unlike Scooby Doo, I didn’t find them cheesy and they were after the real deal, not people pretending to be ghosts and demons. One of the guys was kind of an idiot, in a good way though.

I think Amber and Milo are a pretty good team. They’ve come a long way since the first book. They both have their flaws, and some of them are annoying, but I like them. It’ll be interesting to see what will happen to them in the next book after what Amber did at the end of Desolation.

I have to say though, there were parts of this book that grossed me out a bit. The parts where some demons were eating other demons… I get why they do it but it’s still gross. It’s weird because I can watch all the “gross” stuff on The Walking Dead, like intestines falling from a ceiling, and it doesn’t bother me but reading about a demon eating another demon while they’re still alive? No thank you. Aside from the cannibalism, I actually liked the rest of the story.

I’ve liked both Demon Road and Desolation. I’m looking forward to reading the last book in the trilogy when it comes out next year. There’s a long wait for the next one so I hope I don’t forget everything that happened in the first two books by the time I can read the last book. This is why I like to marathon a series or trilogy, no long wait for the next book. But that’s not always possible. I can’t wait to see what’s next for Amber and Milo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desolation.

April 8, 2016 – Shelved