ambsreads's Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, ugly-covers, books-i-own

“The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren’t looking for them. Columbus and America. Pinzón, who stumbled on Brazil while looking for the West Indies. Stanley happening on Victoria Falls. And you. Amy Curry, when I was least expecting her.”

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour was a book I didn't have many expectations in. With Morgan Matson I have had both a hit (The Unexpected Everything) and a miss (Second Chance Summer) with her books. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount I smiled throughout the book as well as being like

description

This story of a road trip through America (I honestly have no idea the size of America or how long it would take to get anywhere) about two individuals who don't know each other at all - Amy and Roger. Amy's dad died three months previously in a car accident, her brother has been shipped off to rehab, and her mother has decided to sell their house and move to another state. So, basically everything is falling about Amy's life and there is in no way in hell she wants to go on a road trip with someone she knew when she was a baby.

“there are two things that are absolutely necessary if you’re going to be hitting the road.”
“And what are those?”
Roger smiled at me as he paused at a stoplight. “Snacks and tunes,” he said. “Not necessarily in that order.”

I thought this book was amazingly written, including receipts and interesting things about each palace. I found it interesting, as well as some of the conversations shared between the characters. However, I did have some problems. They mainly included the fact Amy got incredibly annoying, I found her beyond frustrating in some parts. I didn't how every character in this book was so cute or beautiful - it felt repetitive. I mean, not every character has to be attractive in a book. My other problem was the fact that the Roger was after another girl for 60% of the book and Amy kissed another guy? I don't know, it rubbed me the wrong way. It just seemed everything was too convenient as well for these characters - they never ran out of gas, they never ran out of money, the tires in the car never burst, they never hit traffic. I feel like something should have derailed their trip in any way.

However, it was beautifully written and a very fast read. I've heard characters appear in later books and I can maybe forgive Morgan for the open ending once I read Since You've Been Gone and re-read the other books. Anyway, a round of applause to this book for not following my DNF streak

description

Just a short and sweet review for a short and sweet book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

April 8, 2016 – Shelved
April 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "My physical copy of this got packed up so I'm going to try the ebook, I hope it doesn't make it annoying since I know theres extra parts like songs and emails etc."
September 13, 2016 – Started Reading
September 13, 2016 –
14.0% "Really excited by this actually!"
September 13, 2016 –
44.0% "I think the new iPhone update has finally made it so iBooks will tell me the right % praise the lord. Still really enjoying this as well."
September 14, 2016 –