Beverley Eikli's Reviews > The Sun King

The Sun King by Sandra Kyle

bookshelves: historical-romance

I was really drawn in by the author's beautiful descriptions of the court of King Louis XIV The Sun King, through the perceptions of the innocent Cecilia who was destined to become his mistress. As I tore through the pages, sizzling sexual tension became powerful and intensely erotic descriptions of the passionate encounters between the charismatic king and his favourite.

Sandra Kyle does a does a fantastic job of juxtaposing the restraint required by strict protocol with steaming scenes of wanton lust and passion.

To tell you what actually happens to Cecilia and Louis would be a huge spoiler. Yes, they are torn apart and there are agonising choices to be made, resulting in sacrifice and intense yearning, but the characters stay true to themselves and their feelings, even as they're caught up in the maelstrom of duty and politics.

We don't need the history books to tell us that Louis didn't marry his mistress, but a romance has a happy ending and I was intrigued by the way the author created a story of passion and conflict with a most surprising but satisfying ending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun King.

April 1, 2016 – Started Reading