Joann's Reviews > Life After Genius

Life After Genius by M. Ann Jacoby

Apr 11, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This was the best novel I read in 2011, and maybe a few years before and maybe after. I couldn't put it down and I didn't want to. I read most of the reviews, and agreed with some, and was completely confounded by the person who didn't like it because he didn't agree with the math...um, this is a novel not a text book.

What I liked best: The characters and their fully realized development and presentation. Theodore Mead Fegley, his consistently annoying mother, his father, Aunt Pearl, Herman Weinstein and all the rest, rang true. These are real people. The situations. Mead at 15 ('I prefer to be called Mead'), holding it together at the University of Chicago, and later desperately sleeping on the floor at Bell Labs. I particularly liked the development and semi-tragic collapse of the high school science project. Poor Mr. Cheese.

Not much I didn't like. I even liked the ending. Anyone who has suffered through their teen years from being different (not fitting the expected or anticipated 'norm') through no fault of their own should relate to this...but I sense that many of the negative reviews were from very (that word is relative) young people. I think the tempering of a few years might bring a change of mind if not heart.

This is a novel, that like it's protagonist, Theodore Mead Fegley, finds it's own path and hangs in there.

Note to the math complainer. The author's profession was as an Art Director. She researched the math and made it interesting to the general reader and integral to the story. Amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life After Genius.