Gary's Reviews > Company Town

Company Town by Madeline Ashby

Company Town is a very busy and insanely ambitious novel. It stuffs about a dozen different hot button SFnal concepts - each one usually enough to support a story on its own - into a whacked out futuristic serial killer thriller. The world-building in Company Town is so mind-blowingly dense it literally burrows its way into the characters' bodies and hollows them out from the inside. I don't know how to describe what a crazy mess this book is and still convince you to read it; the plotting is so frantic and loopy it constantly feels like it's trying (and failing) to get out of its own way; the last act reads like the entire science fiction genre is having a panic attack. It's like the author set out to write a good old-fashioned crackerjack story but couldn't stop sledgehammering every page with her id. The fact that it doesn't quite live up to its ambitions is more a testament to the sheer moxy of its ambitions than to its shortcomings. A must-read for SF fans, even if reactions to it are likely to be polarizing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Company Town.

April 7, 2016 – Shelved
April 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2016 – Started Reading
August 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I freaking loved this book! I bought it as soon as it came out after reading it from netgalley :-)

Gary Melissa wrote: "I freaking loved this book! I bought it as soon as it came out after reading it from netgalley :-)"
I loved it too! But it took we awhile to process my reaction to the book - I finished it almost two weeks before posting this review. This author makes so many bold, audacious choices my head was spinning. A few of those choices I couldn't get behind, but even then I admired her gutsiness in making them.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know what you mean :-) I'm glad you were still able to love it. She just went balls to the walls with it all!