Calisto's Reviews > The Dragon Who Loved Me

The Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken

Apr 11, 2011

bookshelves: awesome-sauce, cult-of-laurenston, epic-adventure, series-to-keep-up-with, smexy-shifters
Recommended for: fans of dragons
Read from September 15 to 16, 2011

Confession time. I LOVE dragons, especially G.A. Aiken's dragons, so this is probably just a rabid fangirl review.

Rhona the Fearles is a soldier who takes orders in a family of Dragonwarriors who give them. Vigholf the Abhorrent is the barbarian former enemy who is now an ally. As a long war comes to a head, they set out in a secret mission which could bring the carnage to an end or destroy them all.

I've followed the Dragon Kin series back when it started in ebook format with Annwyl's story. I have always loved it. What's not to love about dragons - and I mean bloodthirsty, randy, violent dragons who have now qualms about eating people - magic, adventure and totally kick ass heroines. This series went from fun, erotica romance set in a magical age to an epic complex adventure with hot sex.

DO NOT start with this book. This book is a series (new couples with each book) in a serial manner. There is an overarching plot that carries throughout the books and that's the reason that there are various POVs in the books. Characters from book one still matter in book five. And I love that. We still see the Mad Queen in all her bloody psychotic glory.

I didn't remember Rhona or Vigholf so I wasn't DYING to read their story but I was anxious about what had been happening in the universe. The story starts out 'slow' and it almost feels like the protagonists are supporting the actions of previously established characters. But in truth (and hindsight - 20/20, right?) it allows the reader to get to know Rhona and Vig while catching up with the FIVE YEARS! that has passed since the last book.

I liked Rhona and Vig. In many ways they are a nice change of pace from the beautifully written violent sociopaths of previous books. They are still fighters and have no qualms splitting a skull or twelve to achieve their goal, but that's not all they are about and their romance was a hoot.

Loved the creepy, scary dragon/human children. They need more cousins or siblings. LOL. Fans waiting for Éibhear/Izzy will have to keep waiting as things go from bad to worse. BTW - I LOVE Izzy. She's just like Annwyl with less 'mad cow'. LOL.

It was great catching up with previous characters and getting hints of new ones. As long as we get more stories with those Irons, the water dragons (from Dragon on Top), the Spikes and the insane Cadwaladrs, I'll be a happy camper.

Fangirl squee much? You'd think Aiken was paying me (she's not :) but I truly love this epic adventure dragon series with a ton of smut. If you are looking for brainless dragon boinking, this isn't the series for you. But if you love plot, raunchy humor and kick ass babes, pick up this series. Just start with the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Who Loved Me.

09/15/2011 page 100
26.0% "A good story! Whooohooo."