Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The Nest

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

liked it

2.5 Once again my reception of this book will have me swimming upstream from most of my friends on this site whom have already read this book and loved it.. I have given it three stars for the writing alone but the characters and the story I did not care for. Self absorbed, unlikable, selfish is how I found these four siblings. I occasionally felt a slight interest in Bea, but not for long. Too many side characters, which occasioned constant breaks in the narrative did not help matters. The ending was clinched and predictable. Did, however, learn a valuable lesson, never promise your children a large sum of money while you are still alive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nest.

April 7, 2016 – Started Reading
April 12, 2016 –
page 120
April 12, 2016 –
page 150
40.76% ""Bea looked down at the picture of Lena's daughter again and was secretly pleased to see that the girl's nose had been inherited from the kielbasa , not the Mayflower side of the family.""
April 14, 2016 –
page 200
April 16, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)

Jeannie I'm reading this one now too. What do you think of it so far?

Diane S ☔ They all act like a bunch of entitled, spoiled babies. Hope this changes but that is how I feel right now.

Jeannie Diane S ☔ wrote: "They all act like a bunch of entitled, spoiled babies. Hope this changes but that is how I feel right now."

I agree, and so shallow! I can't wait to finish it, some unlikeable characters for sure.

message 4: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson I've been holding off on this one Diane. I'm looking forward to your review. :)

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Ah yikes. I've been waiting to see more reviews as well. Thanks for the honest review, Diane

message 6: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Oh dear! Although now I feel I have to read it because I'm curious about the spread in reactions

Jeannie I felt the same way Diane. I thought I would love this one, I was disappointed.

Diane S ☔ Thanks, you may not feel the same way I did.

Jeannie, I was disappointed too.

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Thanks for your honest review, Diane. I was curious about this one.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sounds like how I feel about the characters in The Great Gatsby haha! Everyone loves that book but me. I just despised the characters too much.

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Thanks , Diane . Skipping this .

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer So interesting! Thanks for your honest review. This is purported to be the "it" book of the spring. So glad to get your unvarnished view!

Diane S ☔ But keep in mind, you may not feel the same. Different things irk different people in books.

Cathrine ☯️ So far, among my friends, there is a split decision on this one. Since you rarely go this low, I take note. Thanks D.

message 15: by Debbie "DJ" (new) - added it

Debbie "DJ" Oh no, am currently reading, but not far in yet. Have a feeling my reaction might be the same as yours, bummer :(

Diane S ☔ Thanks, C and you are welcome.

Debbie we seem to agree on many books, but you might like this one more than I did. I just couldn't connect with these characters at all.

message 17: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson I'm sorry to hear you weren't crazy about this one Diane. I listened to a sample of the audio and it was annoying. I'm not sure whether I want to read/listen to this one now.

Jenna I agree with your rating! Thought this had promise, but ended up underwhelmed, especially with the ending - I agree with your assessment there too!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Off the mountain it goes, Diane! Thank you!!

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan I can relate to the swimming upstream as I've had a few myself. I think 2 star ratings are just as important as 4, so keep on swimming your way! ;)

Jenny (Reading Envy) I value a review like this more than the glowing reviews, honestly. I wonder if some readers feel pressure to give a well-reviewed book another good review (but I've never felt that pressure!)

Mandy Radley Thanks for the review Di, I've also got this one waiting for me to read, will be interest to see what I think.

Diane S ☔ thanks everyone, yes this book seems to have affected different readers different ways. Will be interesting to see which way you fall on the rating scale. I can only relate my thoughts, they may not necessarily be yours.

Marilyn C. Great review! Just finished this book and have to agree you. With all the positive reviews out there I really wanted to like it , just could not connect with the characters.

Diane S ☔ Glad to know some others feel the same way, this is definitely one of those polarizing books.

Ashley I almost chose this book as the book to receive in my Book of the Month shipment, but I decided against it and added it to my OverDrive holds instead. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it, but thought I would give it a try since it had so many positive reviews.

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss Thanks for the warning!

Diane S ☔ You may feel differently Holly, many readers did.

Marie Braz First world problems. From reading the publisher's blurb before the novel came out, I knew I'd not be wanting to read it. There is so much literature out there deserving to be read and enjoyed. Fluff is for the beach.

message 30: by JudiAnne (last edited May 03, 2016 11:10PM) (new)

JudiAnne I love your review. Frequently, I go against the 4 and 5 star reviews and say the book just didn't do it for me. It's strange but it seems that some of my negative reviews sometimes get a lot of attention. I think that some readers like it when a reviewer can say, "I know this is going against the grain but this book wasn't for me." I'm working on a review right now where everyone loved the book but I felt no empathy or connection to the two main characters!

Amanda couldn't have said it better!

Diane S ☔ Thanks Marie,

Judi, so true.

Thanks, Amanda.

message 33: by Cara (new)

Cara Livingston Sounds like how I feel about Gatsby...the problem with writing about rich people when one is not one inherently, is the emotions are short and the characters are shallow. Sounds like gravy and toast...it tastes good at first while the bread is still a bit crunchy but in the end you are left with prison food.

message 34: by Diane S ☔ (last edited May 12, 2016 03:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane S ☔ The Gatsby though had more atmosphere, Love the toast analogy. Lol

message 35: by Joachim (new)

Joachim Stoop This is my review: "This is good, so I'm quiting... Say what? I don't want something good, I want great, unique, midblowing, heart rendering. I'm tired of books I will give 3,75 stars, rounding up to 4, which I will totally forget come next year. I want my inner windows to be shattered, my unstoppable eagerness to buy 1000 copies and leave them in trains and bars provoked, I want to be regarded as retarded because I'm screaming 'Read this or die unsatisfied' in a public bus. I want to stubbornly write raving GR-reviews about my favourite books with my CAPS LOCK on. I want it to be life altering, to boldly knock on the gates of my all time top 10 book heaven. So I'm quiting a fine book à la récherce du temps pas perdue."

Marcia Lengnick I will swim upstream with you!!

Diane S ☔ Thanks so much, Marcia.

Robin Great review Diane S, you've handily articulated how I felt about this book. It WAS engaging to the extent that I stayed up far too late (or early) to finish it but I was dismayed by the unlikeable siblings and that it took them so long to let go and move on. I suppose the continued tension around the lengths they were willing to go to in order to "survive" the horrors of their white middle class entitled lives was the books raison d'être, but it was tiresome at points. I mean, the side characters were more interesting, moral and human by far. (Perhaps my discomfort stems from the fact that the characters ring true to what I've been through and done to escape the horror of loosing my own footing in the middle class, so to Sweeney's credit, it kept me reading on.)

Unfortunately, we were served with a treacly sweet ending that had me gagging -- I mean, what's wrong with leaving us wondering at the end of a story? The author even went so far as to project what would happen under the new tree years into the future. Puhlease.

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Robin. The ending did me in.

Susan Hoffman I agree with the ending. It was too, too sweet. I did enjoy the book and was happy with Leo's disappearance and happy he didn't reunite with the family. Hope I don't ruin the end for someone!

message 41: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee D. I read some of the reviews and wanted to read the book. I was very disappointed however, as I just could not connect with any of the characters. They were dull and totally lacking in likeability.Nothing about their lives were of interest. I struggled through this book in the hopes that it would get better. It did not.

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Brashears I'm with you. I'm trying to get through this book now, but I find rich, entitled characters boring in life and in print. The only reason that I'll finish slogging through is I spent my own hard earned money for it. Why on earth didn't I check it out of the library?

message 43: by Julianne (new)

Julianne Did not like the ending either... Can not recommend it.

Shirley I can see where you're coming from, but the reason why I enjoyed the book was because of their struggles in moving forward and letting go. It was frustrating at times but quite relatable to some of my family (and possibly even myself), and I always like to read books that I can project my own life onto, selfish as that may sound haha

Diane S ☔ Thanks for commenting. Definitely a polarizing book, but you are right Shirley, many loved it. * unfortunately wasn't one of them though I do admire this author's talented writing.

Jenn A Exactly my thoughts.

Suzanne You were generous. I felt exactly the same about this book times 1000. I can't think of the last book I disliked so much. From the weak plot to the uninteresting and cliché characters to the use of too many characters and all the accompanying character hopping to the predictable and unsatisfying ending it was just plain dismal.

Diane S ☔ 2.5 not too generous and for the writing alone, agree with everything else you said, Suzanne.

Karine Mattacchini Not halfway through yet but giving up. Too many side characters. The story and charactets are not compelling.

Diane S ☔ I should have stopped sooner but it was getting so many good reviews I kept thinking it would run around. Still, every book is not for everyone and many people enjoyed this one.

« previous 1