Mark Lawrence's Reviews > World War Moo

World War Moo by Michael   Logan

Apr 07, 2016

I loved the first book in this series with reservations. In the second book the reservations are gone.

With comedy / the absurd what I look for (apart from the obvious - it has to be FUNNY) is a consistent level. I can buy into a level of humour &/or silliness but I need to feel that it isn't going to veer across the comedy map. If I've bought into a wry cynicism, I don't want it to suddenly become slapstick.

In World War Moo Logan maintains consistency. It's a sharp, comedy horror that mixes genuine pathos with the laughs and actually circles around a set of surprisingly deep moral questions. The only bum notes in the consistency stakes were the three generals we occasionally flit to, and the 'deportation' of a key character.

Despite the title the emphasis moves from the 'zombie' animals of book one to the human 'zombie' population, and has less focus on running and killing (or dying) with more politicking. There still is plenty of messy destruction though - fear not!

The writing reminds me a fair bit of Tom Sharpe (on form). I 'worry' that a non-British reader might flounder here. There are plenty of references to British pop-culture / politics that would fly right past your average American, leaving them with a lesser read. I'm guessing that very few Americans know who Noel Edmunds is, for example.

It's hard to be funny and tell a compelling tale at the same time. Logan manages it. This second book improves on an already enjoyable book 1, making the pair of them well worth your time.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Moo.

April 7, 2016 – Started Reading
April 7, 2016 – Shelved
April 7, 2016 –
page 79
25.57% "I'm enjoying it. Amusing and inventive. Reminds me of Tom Sharpe."
April 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil the first book was joint winner of the first Pratchett Prize writing competition wasn't it?

Mark Lawrence Phil wrote: "the first book was joint winner of the first Pratchett Prize writing competition wasn't it?"

It was. I reviewed it too.

message 3: by Jeni (new)

Jeni Glad to hear it's as much fun as the first book .... been putting off getting this because I wasn't sure it would be as good. It has now been moved up my 'to buy' list. :)