Gary's Reviews > Admiral

Admiral by Sean Danker

bookshelves: giveaways

The premise of this one reminded me of the kinds of stories "The Outer Limits" used to spin. Our hero - known only by his supposed rank of Admiral - and three military trainees wake up from hibernation on a derelict ship that recently landed on a mysterious, seemingly uninhabited planet. The crew of the ship has been killed, and conditions on the planet rapidly get more unstable. And they soon discover that the planet might not be so uninhabited after all.
This debut novel from military man Sean Danker is tightly written and fast paced. Danker doesn't break any new ground here, as the story leans pretty heavily on established genre conventions. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily; genres wouldn't be genres without conventions to lean on - the trick is live up to expectations without being too predictable, a balancing act that Danker mostly pulls off. There are few false notes in the novel, the characters are believable and well developed, and clichés are mostly avoided.
Though the scope of the action is limited to just a handful of locations and characters, Danker peels back a few layers of his Evagardian Empire to show a complex and fascinating web of political and social structures engulfing his universe, one I can't wait to see him explore in future works.
An impressive debut from a writer who I suspect will get even better with time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admiral.

April 7, 2016 – Shelved