Tatiana's Reviews > Pink

Pink by Lili Wilkinson

bookshelves: ya, 2011, chick-lit, aus-nz
Recommended to Tatiana by: Flannery
Recommended for: fans of E. Lockhart

Pink is one of those rare books that are both easy-breezy and fun to read and not shallow. For some reason I have a hard time finding them. On the other hand, good depressing books about death/drugs/abuse/disability are much easier to come across, for me anyway.

In a few words, it's a story about not worrying about what people think you are or should be, not boxing yourself into "approved" social niches and just embracing your own individuality.

Not a groundbreaking premise, but the amusing cast of characters and humor make this novel stand out. Ava is a 16-year girl who is reconsidering her current status of an emo-goth, anti-establishment, feminist lesbian and wants to explore other sides of her personality (including sexuality). Ava's feminazi/nihilist girlfriend and ultra-liberal parents are not too wild about pink sweater and sexy heels wearing new Ava...

In many ways Pink reminded me of Not That Kind Of Girl, talks about the same things - what it means to be a feminist, how to be happy with who you are. Only it is much better, more fun for sure. There are words of advice spoken by Ava's mother that I think convey the "moral" of this story the best:

"You know, a very wise woman once gave this piece of advice to women everywhere: Be strong, believe in freedom, love yourself, understand your sexuality, have a sense of humor, masturbate, don't judge people by their religion, color, or sexual habits, love life and your family."

Well said:)

P.S. People are correct, there must be something in the water in Australia. I am yet to read one bad Australian YA novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink.

April 11, 2011 – Shelved
May 14, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
May 14, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 16, 2011 – Shelved as: chick-lit
July 28, 2011 – Shelved as: aus-nz

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Flannery The only caveat I have for you on this one is that the protag is easily influenced. I found it a little frustrating because she doesn't form her own opinions but I didn't find it unrealistic--she just wanted to fit in somewhere so she is constantly trying to please everyone.

Nicole yeah, Ava's one of those people who go with the flow, even if she want to or not.

message 3: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I've been saying that about Australia (and NZ) for years.

Tatiana I am guessing their (YA) publishing industry hasn't been affected by Twilight as much as here, hasn't become as commercialized? I have no idea...

message 5: by Mariel (new)

Mariel That could be it, or maybe they are not marginalized, as there are not as many famous authors, Marchetta and Zusak have been good for a while. I love Margaret Mahy and Isobel Carmody's older books too. Marillier has gotten worse. Maybe adult to ya cash in is also a problem? I used to love her and now look down on her as a sell-out.

Tatiana Marillier's books are getting a little stale. I feel like it's the same story over and over again.

Emily May This has been on my TBR list for ages, think I'm finally going to have to give in :)

Flannery I'm so happy you liked it. She has another one out this month called A Pocketful of Eyes that I hope they release in the US. Taxidermy!

Tatiana Flannery, the moment I finished reading first couple of chapters, I started searching for more books of hers. She hasn't written much, has she?:(

message 10: by Phoebe (new) - added it

Phoebe yep, I'm an Aussie, and I'm pretty sure our publishing system wasn't affected by Twilight, and subsequently wasn't inundated by mass produced, 1-dimensional YA paranormal romance-fiction crap. :)

Suzanne Well said, as always!