Bark's Reviews > Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts

Apr 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, fiction

read this as an unabridged audiobook and though the reader did a great job with all of the voices (and there sure were a heck of a lot of characters!) and kept up a nice casual pace which didn't put me to sleep, I found the book to be disappointingly average.

Shoot The Moon starts out describing life and gossiping about the inhabitants of a small town that is shocked when a young boy goes missing and his mother is found dead. The boy "Nicky Jack" is never found but his pajama bottoms are ominiously located. The book then fast forwards to the present day when the child, now a grown man, heads back to town to learn about his mysterious past.

Mark is now a successful veterinarian and has always had the very best that money can buy but when his adoptive parents die he finds evidence that maybe his life wasn't meant to be lead tending to pampered pooches in California. When he arrives in Oklahoma his appearance opens a great big moldery bag of worms.

Mark or "Nicky Jack" as he's known in Oklahoma is alright as characters go and the cast full of small time folks are okay as well. Unfortunately, it's all pretty average. There isn't a lot of spark to hold this little mystery tale together and I have a feeling that if I were reading this as a regular book it would've been far too easy to put down. It needed more life, more humor, more something . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoot the Moon.