Karen's Reviews > Noah's Compass

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

F 50x66
Apr 11, 2011

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I found this to be a very mediocre book. Essentially, I thought the characters didn't make much sense. It felt as if the author were trying too hard to be philosophical, and as a result the story suffered. Most significantly, the character of Eunice seemed completely unreal, as did the romance between Liam and Eunice. I was also unimpressed by some of the author's dramatic choices, particularly the suicide of Millie and having Liam surrounded almost entirely by women. Liam could easily have become the introverted person he was without the drama of a suicide, and the overabundance of women in his life made it appear that some of his character flaws could simply have been a result of being overwhelmed by strong women. The one character I truly enjoyed was Kitty, and I thought the book would have been much more interesting if the central agent of change in his life was the relationship with Kitty, rather than the relationship with Eunice. (And for the record, I have never met a 5-year old boy as flat and well-behaved as Jonah.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.