Shaun Adamson's Reviews > A Shadow on the Glass

A Shadow on the Glass by Ian Irvine

U 50x66

I will never forget the first time I started reading this book. It was at a very awful time in my life following a severe family dispute and temporary homelessness.

Isn't this what fantasy is really for, perhaps more so then any other genre? To escape our world, to escape to another universe? to leave behind sadness, grief, tension, or simply boredom? To immerse ourselves utterly within an alien culture, amongst characters that are so different in so many ways yet still we can relate to?

All this and more followed reading Ian Irvine's debut novel. The storyline was riveting, the tension, action sequences and such, kept me glued to the book for hours on end, unable to put it down. Imagine the most delicious, most rich, moist, and gooey piece of chocolate mudcake you've ever had: now imagine eating it constantly day in day out, but without any ill effects. This was, and continues to be the experience of reading Ian Irvine's novels, the beauty of which first lies in the sheer scale and complexity of the storyline. The Three Worlds saga consists of 3 series - two quartets and 1 trilogy. Some of these volumes are as thick as a phonebooks, yet never did I tire once of following the amazing journeys and adventures of the characters.

The second fantastic quality of this novel (and subsequent volumes) stems from the originality. Take every pre-conception you have of a fantasy novel, be it the dashing prince, damsel in distress, hocus-pokus magic (for the sake of magic, no explanation), evil stepmothers, epic good vs evil etc etc, and throw them all away. Everything about Ian's work is fresh, invigorating, and unique.

You will not find a more original author, nor will you find one that is more gifted in the art of locking you into his world. A world which as you explore it, empathise and connect with the people, immerse yourself within its histories, cultures, even the scenery itself, you will genuinely feel that the story was written just for you.

This was my very personal, and enormously rewarding experience of reading A Shadow on the Glass, an experience that continues as the saga itself continues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shadow on the Glass.

Started Reading