Linda's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Kristi Cook

Apr 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, romance, vampires, young-adult, psychics, remind-me-why-i-read-this

Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/20...

I was so incredibly disappointed with this book.

When I first heard about this book, I immediately put it on my to-read list. After all, a few of my book blogger friends had recommended it, and it was published by Simon & Schuster! I mean, what could go wrong with that?

I was so, so wrong. Haven was the epitome of a Twilight wannabe. Here’s an outline for you:

1. Girl goes to new school in new city/town.
2. Girl gets new friends.
3. Girl meets incredibly handsome guy who is strangely single.
4. Girl is intrigued by guy.
5. Guy can’t be with her for some strange reason!
6. Girl is depressed and must find out reason.
7. Guy saves girl from something bad!
8. Girl finds out that guy is a vampire.
9. Girl decides that she doesn’t care if guy is a vampire.

And then the rest starts to deviate a little, but still. Pretty much the exact same outline. Sure, there were some things different that made it more interesting – Winterhaven, the school that Violet, the main protagonist, attends, is full of psychic students. Also, in this book, Aidan believes that there is a cure to the “vampire disease.” Violet has visions of the future. And then (spoiler!) (view spoiler). But the essence is still the same. Even the characters were practically the same. Bella – I mean Violet – was a pretty and pale girl who went to a new school where she met Edward – ahem, excuse me – Aidan Gray, who was a vampire afraid of being close to people. Remind you of anything?

Some spoilery thoughts that I just have to say ... (view spoiler)

My conclusion is that Haven was a cheesy Twilight wannabe – so cheesy that suddenly, everyone (wow, everyone!) stared at Violet and Aidan going out. Though it had some good points that Twilight completely missed, Haven is lacking in so many aspects; it’s not believable at several points (of course, not including the whole psychic and vampire thing) and it’s too predictable. Haven was a waste of my time, to be honest.

Oh, and about the cover? The butterfly thing still doesn’t make sense to me. It has no relevance to the book itself, as far as I can tell.

Source: Ebook read online at Pulse It
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

April 10, 2011 – Shelved