Paula's Reviews > Infinite City: A San Francisco Atlas

Infinite City by Rebecca Solnit

Apr 10, 2011

bookshelves: hybrid-or-indeterminate, best-reads-of-2011
Read from April 10 to 14, 2011

I'd give this beautiful-to-look-at and fascinating-to-read homage to and excavation of the city of San Francisco more stars if that were possible. As a resident of the City by the Bay (transplanted from Wisconsin post Summer of Love) for much of 8 years (with time off for world travels)and having lived 50 miles north of the city ever since, SF has been the metro hub of my adult life. The title of the book is well chosen, since there are even more maps of the city that can be imagined than have been artfully created by Solnit and her collaborators (this is truly a collective work). The 22 maps that make up Infinite City include ones entitled "Cinema City: Muybridge Inventing Movies, Hitchcock making Vertigo," "Truth to Power: Race and Justice in the City's Heart," "Poison/ Palate: The Bay Area in Your Body" and perhaps my favorites, simply because I lived in and near these neighborhoods, "Fillmore: Promenading the Boulevard of Gone" and "The Mission: North of Home, South of Safe." Better than any tourist guide. Every great city deserves such a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinite City.