Tommy Calautti's Reviews > The Fab Five: Basketball Trash Talk the American Dream

The Fab Five by Mitch Albom

M 50x66
Apr 10, 2011

The Fab 5 is truly a terrific book. It tells the story of five Wolverine freshman who revolutionized the sport of college basketball. Albom is a very consistant author and continues to uphold his reputation with this book. Albom does a magnificent job of going in-depth on why these 5 black freshman were different from the rest. He also impresses with his attention to every player and how each is unique. The b ook comes across from multiple points of view and narrates how hard it was for these kids to succeed.
The five freshman were Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson. Throughout the story, they talk about the ups and downs of their careers. One of my favorite parts is when Coach K of Duke is talked about as someone who would only recruit, "Uncle Toms." The point Albom makes is that they felt like their kind of people had no shot at being recruited to a big time school like Duke. Together, they made it to back to back NCAA tournament finals losing in them both much like Butler the past 2 years. During that span, leader Jalen Rose was called out many times for trash talk. Although the whole team did it, Rose was pointed out and exploited most. Besides that, they were called out for their play and what they wore. They were famous for wearing baggy shorts, black shoes and black socks. Although their accomplishments were tarnished by the Chris Webber scandal, in my opinion, the Fab 5 is one of the greatest stories ever.
Albom is at his best in this novel when he chronicles the turmoil the players faced. The profanity they recieved, the negative feedback, all of it is just a testament to how tightly knit they were. Albom also does a great job depicting some of their moments. The classic is the Chris Webber timeout game. Albom makes you feel as if you were in the stands watching the game as it happened. Although much praise is given to Albom for writing this novel, I think praise should go out to the players who lived it out and wrote history for us. I give the book 5 stars and 2 thumbs up and recommend it to any sports fan
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fab Five.

message 1: by David (new)

David Ambrose 50/50. I will have to check this book out. I love the story of the Fab Five, and I love Mitch Albom's sports writing. Have you seen the Fab Five documentary on ESPN?