Michelle Johnson's Reviews > Nature Of The Beast

Nature Of The Beast by Hannah Howell

I've never read an anthology before so this was definitely a delightful experience to get three vamp stories in one book.

Let it be known that I'm a sucker - hahaha no pun intended - for vampires. Always have been since I was a snotty nose kid, so off the bat my interest and excitement is already in full bloom. Add on the fact that all stories are historical vamps and automatically my mind brings me to blissful thoughts of Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire - which makes me even more excited to read these stories!

photo giphy_zps1svexzya.gif

First story: Dark Hero by Hannah Howell - 4 stars
Medieval Scotland.
Berawald - a pure blood vampire - meets a distressed little boy named David who urges Berawald to help bring his sister Evanna to safety, as she's been brutally attacked and is clinging to life. Being the kindhearted creature he is, he takes in David and Evanna, mends to her wounds and nurses her back to health. Only to later discover that Evanna and David are not quite normal either but have the MacNacton blood in them as well.

It was hard at first for me to get into this story because of the dialogue.
Example: "The water is verra cold, ye ken." and "Nay, I dinnae think so."

Because of it, finishing this story took a much longer time than usual.
However, I thoroughly enjoyed the depiction of Berawald in his vampire form. I've said it time and time again - I'm an extremely visual person, so when reading I can literally picture the story in my head. With that, the vision I formed of Berawald was absolute perfection, making him my favourite vamp of all three stories.

The story and romance were sweet and made for a great read.

Second: Bride of the Beast by Adrienne Basso - 3 stars
Medieval Whales.

Bethan is desperately trying to set her people free from her stepfathers cruel leadership and seeks out help from a powerful warrior prince named Hayden. She realizes that they've met ten years prior, as she saved his life from her stepfather who sentenced him to death. Hayden agrees to help as he has his own quarrel with Bethan's stepfather and marries Bethan to get closer to his target.

This was my least favourite story. I found it to be a little unrealistic in the end as Bethan goes from being completely appalled to discover that Hayden is a vampire, wanting nothing to do with him to then wanting to be one too and be with him forever. Regardless, I still enjoyed the read.

Third: Kiss of the Vampire by Eve Silver - 4 stars
Nineteenth century London.

Sarah is nurse at Kings College; a hospital plagued by poverty. She's worked with Dr. Killian Thayne for some time and secretly fantasizes about him - which leads her to come to his defence when he's being accused of several murders that have taken place within the hospital.

I absolutely adored this story and the writing. The depictions of emotion, crafted this story into a beautiful read. I loved Killian sooooo much! He was so broken that everything about him reminded me of the tormented Louis from Interview with the Vampire.

photo tumblr_inline_o0lpub3RQR1qgp297_500_zpsgu6b534g.gif

The build up of tension between Sarah and Killian kept me hooked, wanting nothing more than to see how their story ended.

All in all, this anthology was a real treat!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nature Of The Beast.

April 5, 2016 – Started Reading