Willian Molinari's Reviews > Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

Deep Work by Cal Newport

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read May 28, 2017 to May 31, 2017.

re-reading 2017
I will work on a new project and this book will be a perfect fit for the new work environment, so I decided to revisit it.

I wrote my book (Desconstruindo a Web: As tecnologias por trás de uma requisição) using Deep work and it was an amazing experience.

Embrace boredom is the most difficult practice from this book. I use my phone a lot but most of the time I'm listening to audiobooks or podcasts. Instant messengers are still part of my daily life, I have to schedule some time to use them. A good quote for that: "Don't take breaks from shallow work, take breaks from focus!"

review 2016
This book is awesome! It summarizes what I think about concentration and the "new" concept of open offices that we have today.

I have a big problem to concentrate when there is too much noise or when people could not stop talking to me. Unfortunately, this is part of the "culture" where and sometimes people came to just say "hi" and break my concentration entirely.

I'm not a big fan of social networks, so I'm not using them in the last years. Sometimes I decide to get back to some of them just to realize that this book is right on everything about useless time spending.

As an experiment I've been trying deep work on my weekday mornings and for my personal project on weekends. Most of the time I'm using 3-4 hours on the task and it really work the effort. No communication, no social networking, no random internet surfing and more work done.

There is some really good information that bases deep working and helps you to apply it to your life. It will definitely change the way I work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Work.

April 5, 2016 – Shelved
May 30, 2017 –
May 31, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: audio
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Pedro Tavares Great review, I'll follow your hint... this book looks awesome :)

Vinícius Do you use any tools to help you focus? I have a really hard time and am usually very distracted.

Willian Molinari Vinicius wrote: "Do you use any tools to help you focus? I have a really hard time and am usually very distracted."

On the contrary, I'm not using anything. I'm just using Google Music (or any other music player) and a cheap earphone. My laptop is only running what is really needed to get the job done (browser, text editor, terminal). Whenever I remember something that is not related to the task I write it down no Remember the milk (or any other place where you can follow GTD) to review later.

Worth mentioning: it is only working when I'm at home, no way to get it done at the office. =/

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ear Defenders. A good way to shut out distractions and also politely let people know you are in the middle of something!