Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Finding Hope

Finding Hope by Colleen Nelson

it was ok

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Actual Rating: 1.5*

This is a hard pass for me if you are looking for a good contemporary read. The beginning wasn't too bad but once Hope goes to the school the whole book took a huge nosedive. I was at 60% and I wish I had just DNFed it when I had the chance instead of finishing it. I skimmed the last 10% because I couldn't handle it. Not only was the story not good but the ending was very unresolved.

Hope's whole plot at the school was ridiculous. She acted extremely naive and I had the whole thing figured out right away and (view spoiler).

I had some sympathy for Eric, I guess, because what happened to him was horrible, but I also just didn't care. He didn't make me think "oh poor guy" I mostly just thought "man I hope the dog doesn't die because he forgets it while he is high."

I think there are other books that portray drug use and addiction as well as how the family is affected a million times better than this one. I really wanted to like this one because of the subject matter but it just did not turn my crank.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Hope.

April 4, 2016 – Shelved
April 4, 2016 –
11.0% "I'm getting like mental whiplash with how quickly we are going between povs"
April 4, 2016 –
18.0% "I feel like a lot of these books are carbon copies of one another"
April 4, 2016 –
27.0% "I am stopping here to go to sleep"
April 5, 2016 – Started Reading
51.0% "hm"
52.0% "what lmao"
April 5, 2016 –
67.0% "I'm rolling my eyes so hard"
72.0% "SIGHS LOUDLY"