Archit Ojha's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

bookshelves: books-we-own

I don't usually write reviews, in fact this is my first on goodreads. This is a memoir of my connection to this book.

My wife (yes I call my girlfriend my wife, so is the bond) gave this to me.

We have a habit of gifting each other books. This was one of such events. Yet, it was so different. She warned me not to read To Kill A Mockingbird and I had a hunch that she is going to present it to me.

The book she also added in the package happened to be The Book Thief. She said that she is giving her heart to me. And upon reading it, it was aptly so.

This book is a heartwarming tale of people in hardships, who find happiness in small little corners of life. Rudy, who lived a short yet a conquering life. Liesel, the protagonist who understood things so well. Perhaps this why my wife had so big an impact of Markus Zusak's creation of this fictitious character. I asked my wife on a blind date and the first day all we talked about was how can I not have read the book?

Yes, how could I have not? I have read quite a humongous volume of books and I missed this one. The reason was because my wife had to gift this to me. I called her chapter after chapter, sharing the feelings and jitters and nightmares that I shared with Liesel and Max. I was catapulted to the WWII era of bombings and counting every single heartbeat just in case I was wiped away by one bomb.

I am glad my wife listened patiently to each of these fears, soothed me on every occasion like she always does. The Hubermanns had a touching sense about them. The story to us is not heartbreaking but heartwarming.

The moment Max came out of his hiding, just to watch the sky he has not seen in months, whilst others crouched fearing for their lives : that moved me. The chord that my wife wanted to strike with me had found its mark. I called her and cried and described what it feels like to remain in a room filled with your own thoughts. All that she said was nothing. She understood. She always does.

She told me in the end one thing very cheerfully that summarizes the entire book for both of us. The line was "This book stands a cornerstone in my life because you read it. And with you I read."

I told you, this is not a review. It is just a recollection of our memories associated with this book.

Many books will come and many books will find a place in our bookshelves over the years. But this book gets the best place in our hearts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

April 4, 2016 – Shelved
page 204
June 10, 2016 –
page 436
June 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Archit Ojha Anya wrote: "Archit wrote: "And I was head on heals when my girlfriend gifted this book to me."

Don't let her go! She sounds like a keeper. :D"

Oh she very well is. Thank you for your comment. :)

Have a nice day.

message 2: by Rohisa (last edited Jul 04, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Rohisa What an adorable, heartwarming review, Archit. My heart lurched with tingling joy the entire time I was reading your precious testament to this marvellous work of fiction. Your review proves how great novels sometimes take a form of a living creature and sip into the life of the readers as it enriches the bond between two people.

message 3: by Archit (last edited Sep 12, 2016 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Archit Ojha Thank you for such a gracious comment. A heartfelt thank you to you. Of about 20 languages that we share between us, the language of books speaks the loudest.

message 4: by Tarinee (new) - added it

Tarinee Prasad such a beautiful review ,such beautiful use of words :)
4-very good review brother
5-apka review bahut hi acha hai bhai

message 5: by Parth (new)

Parth Agrawal I've not yet read the book but the vivid expression of your journey reminds me that it's time I need to get back to the beautiful side of life. I would love in future also reviews, you know what, let's (as you said) not call this reviews, experiences like these are shared time and again:)

Archit Ojha Tarinee wrote: "such a beautiful review ,such beautiful use of words :)
4-very good review brother
5-apka revi..."

Welcome to the polyglot clan, Tarinee. Danke für Ihre Kommentare.

I love the usage of 'brother'. (y)
Brothers, we become.

Archit Ojha Parth wrote: "I've not yet read the book but the vivid expression of your journey reminds me that it's time I need to get back to the beautiful side of life. I would love in future also reviews, you know what, l..."

Beautiful side of the fence is a good phrase. And you already are on the correct side of the court. We get what we seek. And we seek what we think we deserve.

Life's good, mate.

message 8: by Tarinee (new) - added it

Tarinee Prasad Archit wrote: "Tarinee wrote: "such a beautiful review ,such beautiful use of words :)
3-chaila chaila baundi review aneya
4-very good review bro..."

danke akzeptiert

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve I'm happy to see that my newest friend here on Goodreads has such a special bond with books in general, this one in particular, and with his loving girlfriend / wife most of all.

message 10: by 7jane (new)

7jane <3 :)

message 11: by Quirky Omega (new)

Quirky Omega what a sweet review!

Poonam Lovely review Archit:))

message 13: by Srishti (new) - added it

Srishti Chandwadkar I won't call it a review because lets face it, it was not. Like you said, it was indeed a recollection of old memories, which was adorable since you shared it with everyone here :) And it was really heart melting just hearing the bond between you and your wife a.k.a gf.
P.S. I could'nt stop myself from commenting even if we don't know each other, just because this review was so beautifully written and we as readers could relate to the emotions and feelings that you experienced while reading this book even if we have'nt read it yet :D

Archie This review of yours is terrific!

Olivia-Savannah  Roach I loved this books so much. It makes me so happy to see others being able to appreciate it!

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt Interesting thoughts.

Mridu  aka Storypals What picture?

message 18: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen You stated so humbly, that this was not a review. I disagree and want to tell you that this is perhaps the best kind of review. You superbly shared how the book made you feel, rather than giving a plot summary. Nicely done. And I had to smile while reading what a loving relationship you share:)

message 19: by Nida (new) - added it

Nida Kazi Thanks for recommending this book! It's a MASTERPIECE.

Archit Ojha Archie wrote: "This review of yours is terrific!"

Thank you so much Archie.

Archit Ojha Steve wrote: "I'm happy to see that my newest friend here on Goodreads has such a special bond with books in general, this one in particular, and with his loving girlfriend / wife most of all."

Thank you for your wonderful comment. Yes, you've penned my thoughts very well.

The Captain This is such a sweet and touching story of how a piece of literature can touch the heart, mind and spirit. Thank ye kindly for sharing. Happy reading!