Peter Verástegui guasace's Reviews > El otoño del patriarca

El otoño del patriarca by Gabriel García Márquez

Recommended for: Of course I would recommend to anyone with interest in the history of Latin America

From a beginning this story covers all, from the the sickening quirks of a dictator to history itself–it discards the official history and re-writes it. The novel makes justice to history with its fiction, the novel come across as more convincing than the official story, to me, because is the caricatured and carnivalesque version of history. The version remembered by the protagonists themselves: the people and the dictator. For example, in the novel we see all the recurring circumstances of a dictatorship, we see how the exercise of power transforms, confuses, fills of glory, and condemns the dictator. However, if something is essential in this novel is the satiric narration of the Latin American history–and what a spectacle!–, the novel tells the story of a whole continent through one character, the patriarch, and this character showered in impossible attributes like his animal features, his divine qualities, and his power which can only be compared to that of god. This character is multidimensional, this character is all the dictators in one and his nameless Caribbean homeland is all the countries of Latin America in one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El otoño del patriarca.

March 1, 2013 – Started Reading