Amanda Taylor's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Epic fantasy on an epic scale. I haven't read a book as long as this one was (800 pages) that was so gripping since I read Lord of the Rings the first time when I was in high school.

Martin deserves to stand up there with the greats.

To summarize the book, he writes chapters based on a few main characters. The book is the struggle between the great families of the Seven Kingdoms. The biggest players are the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. The king is Robert of House Baratheon and his chief advisor is Ned Stark. Many of the chapters have Starks as point of view characters--his middle son, two daughters, bastard son, wife, and Ned himself all get point of view chapters as does Tyrion Lannister the dwarf son of the head of the family. The last person to get a chapter is the daughter of the ousted Targaryens, Daenerys.

The first book manages to give the background of the seven kingdoms and begin a war that is in equal parts: treachery, intrigue, and violence. Some of the scenes are horrific, but fitting for a book that has war scenes in it. Don't expect this book to be gentle at all expect all the viciousness of the War of the Roses here and frankly, it seems that Martin took a bit from history in that like the English wars we have noble houses with personal armies fighting for ascendancy in one kingdom.

The plot is well designed although this book isn't a singleton. He has four novels currently and a fifth is planned in this epic cycle. The characters are ones you love or hate, you don't feel indifferent towards his characters. Even though the series is quite long in scope (the second book is 1000 pages), I am eagerly reading the second book already to find out just how things end.

If you like fantasy especially epic and historical fantasy, then you should read this book and series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Finished Reading
April 4, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Great review! long time has passed since I paused to the second book.
You give me great push to start again. :)