Catherine Stokes's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Apr 04, 2016

Read from April 04 to May 05, 2016

** spoiler alert ** Larsson begins the book with the oh so familiar pace, characters and style I have come to love. Mikael and Lisbeth are back, but the reunion I had yearned for never came. Seriously. It never came. They don't see each other until the end of the book which doesn't even really count because Lisbeth is so out of it all she can say is my new favourite catchphrase 'Kalle Fucking Blomkvist" before she loses consciousness (the lack of comma there is to show my passion for this predicament).
It was something I noticed in the first book, and Larsson continues to use paragraphical countdowns to great effect. Let me try to explain without seeming like an asshole; I've noticed that if the tension begins to build, Larsson adds to it by cutting each half of the narrative into smaller and smaller paragraphs. Eventually you only get one page of Blomkvist before you move onto one page of Salander. This technique greatly heightens the feeling of anxiety as you feel a collision is going to happen as the paragraphs get smaller and smaller. Ah Larsson, you've done it again.
The reason this book didn't get five stars like its predecessor is that the second time round the dreariness of Lisbeth/Mikael doing nothing gets frustrating. You want something to HAPPEN, reading about how many sandwiches/Billy's Pan pizza/coffee Mikael and Lisbeth have consumed is not what I came for.
That being said, if it was all filled with the violent splendour I love then the violence wouldn't be that special would it?
Great twists. Great turns. Great intrigue. On to kicking the hornet's nest.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

04/04/2016 marked as: currently-reading