Nikki 's Reviews > A Kiss Before the Apocalypse

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski

Apr 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, angels, post-apocalyptic

Eighth book for the readathon? Less sleepy now -- I was having to force myself to read the seventh book, but this was fun and absorbing, so I had no problems with falling asleep.

As might be predicted for me, I loved the references to Raymond Chandler (the detective is called Remy Chandler; his dog is Marlowe). I also loved the fact that in my head, Remy totally looked like Castiel from Supernatural, as portrayed by Misha Collins.

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse is basically the story of a sort-of-fallen angel who works as a private investigator, and who then finds himself caught up in investigating where the Angel of Death has got to and who wants to start the apocalypse. His closest sidekick is his dog, and not his cop friend, which was not what I expected -- I wish supporting characters had been used better, actually. Francis and Lazarus were amazing. He should've used 'em and abused 'em.

The thing that I liked most was the relationship between him and his aged wife -- given that, being an angel, he can't age -- and the tenderness between them, even when to outsiders she appears old enough to be his mother. I love Remy's devotion to her.

Nothing amazingly special, but a fun (and quick) read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss Before the Apocalypse.

Joha Yes, Castiel from Supernatural, that who came to mind right away. :)