Brittany's Reviews > The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh

The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

Apr 09, 2011

bookshelves: childrens-books
Read from April 09 to May 21, 2011

Surprisingly I don't think I had these read to me as a child. When I got a copy of this huge 75th anniversary collection that includes Winnie The Pooh, House at Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six fully illustrated in beautiful watercolors I knew it was time to read it. At 24 it's still not too late to return to your childhood for a romp in the Hundred Acre Woods and a good game of Pooh Sticks.

Overall I thought this edition in particular was beautiful, and I really enjoyed reading the introduction about AA Milne and his son Christopher Robin. It is unfortunate that the C.R. had a rough school-hood because of it, and that he came to resent his father for what he felt was an exploitation of his childhood. As an adult, I suppose that takes some of the sparkle out of the stories. I'll make sure to leave that part out when reading to my future children.

As for the books themselves, I found myself in love with Pooh whose simplicity as a character and being in general constantly made me smile. His poems and rhymes and hum diddly dums made me grin as I sang along. My absolute favorite story between the first two books was the story in which Pooh creates the game Pooh Sticks. I have a strong childhood attachment to that story from the Disney version. My husband and I have decided to find a good bridge to play Pooh Sticks on.

I do have to say though that I quite came to dislike Eeyore. I never did like him as a child, either. As a kid I just didn't like that he was grumpy, as an adult reading the books I found his pessimism and subtle haughtiness quite alarming and it made him entirely difficult to like, though I did sympathize with him many times.

Overall I love the Pooh stories and think they teach some valuable lessons as well as just being charming stories in and of themselves. Recommended for anyone who has a young child, or who wants to read stories from their childhood in a new light.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh.

04/09/2011 "We're reading a story a night."
04/17/2011
25.0% "We finished Winnie the Pooh and are on to House at Pooh Corner!"
05/02/2011
40.0% "We're on to House at Pooh Corner."
05/09/2011
50.0% "Not sure I want to read Now We Are Six and When We Were Very Young"