Samir's Reviews > Malice

Malice by John Gwynne

52081294

This was a buddy read with my dear friend Orient and I thank her for encouraging me to start this series sooner than I planned.

Before I started Malice I was warned that the first half of the book is a slow burn but as soon as I was about fifty pages in I understood why. This book hosts a large cast of characters and we follow some of them through POV chapters so the slower pace was needed to get us acquainted with them and to lay the foundation of the story through them.

The premise of this story is an ancient prophecy of a war between Light and Darkness and there are many signs throughout the Banished Lands indicating the prophecy will soon be fulfilled. Every war needs its champions and such is the matter with this one; the champion of Light, Bright Star, and the champion of Darkness, Black Sun. As we follow the story we begin to get the vibe of who might those champions be and by the end of the book we are almost certain of their identities.

I already mentioned the large cast of characters and the thing I liked about them was that they were all memorable which means they’re very well written and their progression was very well done because each of them evolves in an unique, and for some, an unpredictable way. They are the main focus of this story and their motivation and inner thoughts are moving it forward. There were a couple of main ones that stood out for me; Corban, a young boy training to become a warrior, who we follow the most in this novel. His POV is a coming-of-age tale and through this tale we’re introduced to his friends and foes and I would like to mention one certain friend that appealed to me, a wolf named Storm. Their relationship reminded me of the one between Fitz and Nighteyes from the Farseer Trilogy and it was a joy to read. The second one is Veradis. I can’t say more of his role without spoilers so I’ll just say that he is a master swordsman, in service of Nathair, who fights to earn his father’s respect (and that is a hard task because his father is a king), and I have high hopes for him. As you probably concluded yourself, Gwynne succeeded in one thing that is very important to me, he made me care for them so I can’t really ask for more.

The world of the Banished Lands is set in the medieval surroundings influenced by Celtic folklore and mythology so you have the names like Cywen, Mordwyr, and creatures such as giants, wyrms and draigs. This helps to create the atmosphere of this novel and gives a particular feel to it.

As we’ve already established, the Banished Lands is a place with a rich lore but there is much more to this novel to keep you entertained; great set of characters, plenty of battles and sword fighting duels, scheming, betrayals, which will set in motion a chain of events affecting all of the kingdoms in the Banished Lands and this is just the beginning of this compelling tale.

I can’t say Malice brought something new to the genre, it felt more like a convergence of tropes but a convergence done right. Gwynne has shown a promising talent with this great debut and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

I was reading this on my Kindle and when I was done I realized that this the beginning of something special so I ordered the paperback versions of the entire series because I have a feeling that this series will deserve to be proudly displayed on my bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

April 3, 2016 – Shelved
April 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2017 – Started Reading
April 9, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "BR with Her Purple Highness Orient :) I hope will have fun in this adventure :)"
April 10, 2017 –
15.0% "The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

April 18, 2017 –
49.0% "Giant lizards added a different tone to the battle.

April 21, 2017 –
89.0% "Enemies keep popping up. Who will prevail?...

April 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
64.17% (Paperback Edition)
September 10, 2017 –
page 501
79.78% (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

message 1: by Dani (new)

Dani Rango! That movie rocks! (Totally unrelated but it had to be said).

Choko Great review, Samir!!! And as most of the time, we agree on the book:)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awesome review Samir!!

Lady Luna. ✨ Great review Samir !

message 5: by James (new) - added it

James Tivendale Awesome review, bro! Glad you enjoyed! When are you planning to jump back into the adventures of the Banished Lands then? x

Terry Nice review, Samir! I've gotten stuck with work and some other stuff, so I'm still in the middle of the book. I'm looking forward to finishing, and agree it's been great so far.

Samir Choko wrote: "Great review, Samir!!! And as most of the time, we agree on the book:)"

Thank you Choko! Great minds... :)

Samir Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Awesome review Samir!!"

Thanks Mary! :)

Samir ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review Samir !"

Thanks Sarah! :)

Samir James wrote: "Awesome review, bro! Glad you enjoyed! When are you planning to jump back into the adventures of the Banished Lands then? x"

Cheers mate! As soon as my order arrives :)

Petrik Great review Samir! The rest of the sequel only get better and better imo! :)

Samir Terry wrote: "Nice review, Samir! I've gotten stuck with work and some other stuff, so I'm still in the middle of the book. I'm looking forward to finishing, and agree it's been great so far."

Thank you Terry! I hope you'll enjoy the rest of it.

message 13: by Nimrod (last edited Apr 24, 2017 12:44AM) (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel Great review Samir! Slower pace for the sake of making readers well-acquainted with a large cast of characters is a good choice. Characterization is very important, especially for a series that lasts few book.

I have the series on my tbr, but it will take me some time until I get around this one.

Samir Craig wrote: "Great review Samir and 5 stars!! Glad you enjoyed....the second book should blow you away!! :)"

Thanks Craig! I hope so :)

Samir Petrik wrote: "Great review Samir! The rest of the sequel only get better and better imo! :)"

Thanks man! Can't wait to read the rest :)

Samir Nimrod wrote: "Great review Samir! Slower pace for the sake of making readers well-acquainted with a large cast of characters is a good choice.

I have the series on my tbr, but it will take me some time until I ..."

Thanks Daniel! I hope you'll enjoy it :)

Milda Page Runner Great review Samir! Looking forward to start this series too. :)

Haïfa Fantastic review my friend !!
I'm so happy you loved the book and the characters !! And YES for Fitz and Nighteyes !!
I think I'll get the paperbacks too eventually. The covers are so gorgeous and the series is phenomenal !

Orient Wonderful review, Samir :) I wonder, did you guess who's who in advance? :)

message 20: by Mili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mili Ohh I love when books use celtic names :D

Samir Milda wrote: "Great review Samir! Looking forward to start this series too. :)"

Milda wrote: "Great review Samir! Looking forward to start this series too. :)"

Thanks Milda! I hope you'll like and I'm looking forward to your thoughts :)

message 22: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Great review, Samir! :)

message 23: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Once again, great review! Can't wait to pick these up myself!

Samir Haïfoun wrote: "Fantastic review my friend !!

Thank you Haïfa :) Yeah, the covers look great and I can't wait to get them! :)

Samir Orient wrote: "Wonderful review, Samir :) I wonder, did you guess who's who in advance? :)"

Thank you Orient :) It wasn't that hard to guess :)

Samir Mili wrote: "Ohh I love when books use celtic names :D"

They sound cool :)

Samir TS wrote: "Great review, Samir! :)"

Thank you TS! :)

Samir Amanda wrote: "Once again, great review! Can't wait to pick these up myself!"

Thank you Amanda! I hope you'll like it :)

Orient Samir wrote: "Orient wrote: "Wonderful review, Samir :) I wonder, did you guess who's who in advance? :)"

Thank you Orient :) It wasn't that hard to guess :)"

Ugh, it took away some of the joy from me :) Lol, I hate Nate :D

message 30: by K.S. (new) - added it

K.S. Great review! I've been hearing about this one for a while, seems like something I will really enjoy. Tropes have their purpose, especially when done right. Hopefully I get to it sometimes this year.

Samir K.S. wrote: "Great review! I've been hearing about this one for a while, seems like something I will really enjoy. Tropes have their purpose, especially when done right. Hopefully I get to it sometimes this year."

Thank you K.S.! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did :)

Ginger Great review Samir! Still got to get on this book and series. It's downloaded on my Kindle and waiting and waiting....

Jody Awesome review Samir! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Samir Ginger wrote: "Great review Samir! Still got to get on this book and series. It's downloaded on my Kindle and waiting and waiting...."

Samir Jody wrote: "Awesome review Samir! I'm glad you liked it! :)"

Thank you Jody! :)

Ginger Samir wrote: "Thank you Ginger! Don't let it wait for too long, start now and join us for the buddy read of the sequel :) "

When will you get around to book #2? I've got to finish book up #2 of gentleman bastards and Capote's In Cold Blood. And then finish up Malice. Hopefully in a month?! ;) hahaha

Samir Ginger wrote: "Samir wrote: "Thank you Ginger! Don't let it wait for too long, start now and join us for the buddy read of the sequel :) "

When will you get around to book #2? I've got to finish book up #2 of ge..."

Ginger Samir wrote: "Well, Orient and me have Malazan books to finish and that could take a while so you'll have plenty of time to catch up :) "

This is me in the next two-three weeks. ha!

Samir Ginger wrote: "Samir wrote: "Well, Orient and me have Malazan books to finish and that could take a while so you'll have plenty of time to catch up :) "

Great!! Yeah, I'm not going to catch up to you guys with t..."

And this is me:

Orient Ginger wrote: "Great!! Yeah, I'm not going to catch up to you guys with the Malazan books since I haven't even started that series as well. haha So hopefully I can with this series. It's next on my list after the two that I mentioned above. Read sloooooooow!

This is me in the next two-three weeks. ha!"

Yay, the more, the better! :)

Ginger Orient wrote: "Yay, the more, the better! :)"

Yay! :D

edge of bubble awesome review, Samir =)

Samir edge of bubble wrote: "awesome review, Samir =)"

Thanks Bubbles :)

message 44: by Lema (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lema Great review Samir! Veradis became one of my faves too, along with a couple others.. Enjoy the rest of the series they are ten times better!! :D

Samir Lema wrote: "Great review Samir! Veradis became one of my faves too, along with a couple others.. Enjoy the rest of the series they are ten times better!! :D"

Thank you Lema! :) I can't wait for my order to arrive, my brain is craving for Valor! :D

Angela Love your review Samir and agree that Gwynne was very good at making the reader care about his characters.

Samir Angela wrote: "Love your review Samir and agree that Gwynne was very good at making the reader care about his characters."