Jonna's Reviews > Déjà Dead

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Being a fan of the television show "Bones," I'd wanted to read this book to see how they compared, and it took me quite a while to get a hold of this novel, the first in the series. For the first few chapters I wasn't sure if I'd continue or not. Kathy Reichs' writing style is rather cold & clinical, and while the plot itself had me interested, I took a lot longer to warm up to the characters. I'm not sure I ever did.
The scientific jargon used by the main character, Temperance Brennan, can be hard to wade through. For instance, instead of simply saying "wrist bones" she describes them as "carpal bones." That was one of the easy ones. While she's is intended to be a sympathetic character-- divorced, recovered alcoholic, lonely-- it is difficult to connect with her. Even when she's in danger.
I did enjoy the book more as it went on, even staying up past midnight to finish it, and I did truly enjoy the last few chapters. However, I am not sure if I'll be reading more in the series. Perhaps character development gets better as the series progresses, as so often happens? Reichs must be doing something right-- there are 14 books in the Bones series, all bestsellers.
Has anyone else read these? What did you think?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Déjà Dead.

April 9, 2011 – Shelved
August 19, 2011 – Started Reading
August 19, 2011 –
page 12
2.26% "I've been waiting so long to get my hands on this book-- I think I'll be up late tonight reading!"
August 21, 2011 – Finished Reading