Janine Southard's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Apr 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-modernity, science-fiction, war
Recommended for: wwii buffs, connie willis fans, time travel fans
Read from April 09 to 10, 2011

I'm trying to decide whether or not I enjoyed this novel -- part 1 of 2, but really just cut off in the middle.

On the one hand, time travel. I adore time travel stories. (For all that there are only 3 plots or 3 archetypes to them.)

On the other hand, WWII. There's something about WWII that makes me feel inadequate as a person. Assume you'd been born in Germany. Then assume you'd been born in London. Could you really live up to the standards you wish you could've set?

On that first hand, Connie Willis writes brilliant short form fiction. A fact which makes each chapter of Blackout a marvelous scene, complete with beginning, middle, end, and a hook to keep you going.

On that second hand, this isn't short-form. The way we switch from character to character for each scene turns out nicely for a bit, then runs out of logic. Hundreds of pages pass between scenes for a particular person. Or a new one arrives 40% of the way through...

I'll likely read the sequel/conclusion, but only if I can find it at half price or at a library. Later, I shall let you all know whether or not to go forth and purchase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

04/09/2011 page 400