Emily (theBookishLounge)'s Reviews > Operation Valentine

Operation Valentine by Loretta Hill

F 50x66

bookshelves: novellas, romance, adult

This was a very fun and entertaining read. It was short and I got through it easily in 1 sitting. Although the story was predictable and the outcome was obvious after a couple of pages in, I still enjoyed the plot and how the events lead up to the ending. The story is told from 2 points of views: Sarah and Owen, and I loved their banter. Loretta's dialogue is always so entertaining, humourous and unforced and I found myself constantly grinning. I really happy with the amount of depth the author brought to Owen and his backstory and I think it's something Loretta does really well - transform "superficial or shallow". Sarah on the other hand, I felt lacked the character development that Owen received.

Also the side characters felt a bit neglected and although I liked the focus on Sarah and Owen, other characters just appeared and disappeared when convenient. I understand we couldn't dive into everyone's life because of the shortness of this novella. I wished this was longer, which would also help with the "instalove-ish" feel I had whilst reading. I wouldn't actually call this relationship instalove because there was a medium progression of time allowing the characters to develop feelings. However, because of the short length of the scenes and skipping of days, the time felt way shorter. So there was a pretty considerable amount of time they spent together for their relationship to grow and romantic feelings to develop. And it's set in Australia so YAY. We didn't get to explore the setting much because of the limitations of such a short story and it didn't actually matter to me that much.

Some "serious issues" or heavier topics are brought up that are unusually explored in light-hearted stories like this one, and this book didn't attempt to delve to deeply into them - more like brushed the surface. Once again, if it was longer then some time could have been dedicated to these aspects and they wouldn't feel so out of place in comparison to the rest of the book.

Overall, I found the storyline quite cheesy and it feels like a rom com but I never felt any cringe which is usually common for me reading these romance driven books. If you want a short feel good story and don't mind a specific love trope - don't think it's much of a spoiler but (view spoiler), I think you'll enjoy reading this!

Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation Valentine.

April 3, 2016 – Shelved
April 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 24, 2016 – Shelved as: novellas
July 5, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
July 5, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
September 7, 2016 – Started Reading
September 7, 2016 –
page 114
79.17% "So cheesy and predictable but so cute and entertaining."
September 7, 2016 – Finished Reading