Sarah's Reviews > On The Holloway Road

On The Holloway Road by Andrew Blackman

bookshelves: things-i-read-for-uni

This is one of my favourite books I have read at uni, though I only found one other person on the course who enjoyed it. It is a fairly short and easy read but having read lots of novels this term which were a good 200 pages past their best, I admired Blackman’s restraint.

The greatest success in this book are definitely the characters and I think everyone is or knows a Jack or a Neil. I personally see a lot of myself in Jack, and just like him, was captivated by Neil’s articulate thoughts and zest for life. The relationship between the two protagonists is heart warming, which is further emphasised by the somewhat bleak British backdrop.

I have to say I was a little disappointed with the ending, but I honestly can’t remember the last book where I didn’t find its conclusion predictable or anti-climactic. I also hadn’t, before reading the novel, read, or even heard of Jack Kerouac’s On The Road, but have since ordered it from Amazon. I definitely think prior knowledge of this book would impact on your interpretation and impression of On The Holloway Road.

If you like positive books or books that are full of action then this probably isn’t for you, but if you want to read something real and perhaps inspiring, then I really recommend giving On The Holloway Road a try. I have my lecture and seminar on the novel this week and am interested to see what other interpretations people have of the book and I am definitely looking forward to seeing what else Blackman can produce
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On The Holloway Road.

Started Reading