Suzanne's Reviews > The Morgue and Me

The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford

Apr 09, 2011

liked it
Read in March, 2011

This is really more of a 2.5. A fairly predictable murder mystery to me, so I'm disappointed that we placed it on the Peach Nominee list BEFORE I got the chance to read it. If I had, I would have argued against it in favor of something better. Maybe I just don't love the murder mystery as I did when I plowed through all the Agatha Christie's when I was a tween. So contrived, they feel.

Anyway, just a few words more: a dude graduates high school and takes a summer job in the local morgue, thinking it will help prepare him for the spy-life he hopes he will someday lead. When he sees what appears to be a cover-up of murder, labelled suicide by the sheriff and coroner, he dives into local politics seeking answers to the guy killed in a motel who took some dangerous secrets with him. A feisty female newspaper reporter and an ex-almost-girlfriend add some feminine mystique and help layer the plot, but still, I was waiting for it to be over more than I was enthralled. Why do so many YA mysteries make me want to sing the Scooby-Doo song and channel my inner Velma. Oh, well. I can't love all the books on the list. True dat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morgue and Me.