Lala BooksandLala's Reviews > Exit, Pursued by a Bear

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

it was ok
bookshelves: hard-hitting

If I am COMPARING this to other young adult novels that deal with rape, yes, I definitely concur with the general population that this is a 4 or 5 star read. It is an important story and by showing a contrasting reaction made by the main character and her peers compared to other books of this genre, it evokes a different reader reaction as well.

However, rating it as a story on its own, I was not a huge fan. You must admit, we've all read an averagely written book but that we gave a high rating because we CONNECTED to it, found something in it that speaks to us on a personal level. For me, this was an averagely written book that I felt so DISCONNECTED with due to personal experiences and feelings, that the rating got knocked down instead.

So there is the rating I GIVE the book because of my own reading enjoyment, and the rating I WANT to give it because I in no way would want to deter anyone from reading this. I can easily see why the majority of people enjoy this book, but I do feel that have to stick with my honest rating, which is 2 stars....however, please don't take it as a lack of a recommendation. Do read this, you will likely appreciate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit, Pursued by a Bear.

April 2, 2016 – Started Reading
April 2, 2016 – Shelved
page 62
25.0% "Whoa, she's not actually going to end up pregnant, is she? Taking those pills within a few hours should bump the effectiveness to up to 95%!"
page 66
26.61% ""emergency contraceptives only work if fertilization has not already occurred." Uh no, Dr. Shark....emergency contraceptives only work if OVULATION has not already occurred. The pills make you NOT ovulate. So if you've already ovulated, you're out of luck. An emergency contraceptive will not work if the egg has been fertilized sure, but ALSO won't work if the egg is even present..."
page 66
26.61% "ps: no doctor I've ever encountered (and with 5 years of infertility, that's A LOT) would ever recommend waiting only SIX DAYS before taking a pregnancy test."
page 105
42.34% ""you are a bum." Really? That's all?"
page 131
52.82% "well shit. if I knew what direction this book was taking, I may have not picked it up. ugh."
page 136
54.84% "ugh. I'm going to be sick."
page 153
61.69% "I KNEW the author would do that. Make it all inconclusive and then she has to find out on her own or she just moves on never knowing."
April 2, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: hard-hitting

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Lyra (new) - rated it 1 star

Lyra I think you probably also felt disconnected because Hermione's character was super under-developed. Hard to relate to a blank slate!

Bailey Randolph Omg thank you! I was feeling so bad about not really feeling this story, and it's just very validating to see my feelings in the words that I wasn't able to get out myself.

WhatIReallyRead I agree that this book is better in comparison to others in the genre than on its own.