Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)'s Reviews > Wonder Woman: Warbringer

Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: 2017-read, 2017-release, first-reads-arcs

Wonder Woman: Warbringer begins with 17-year-old Diana rescuing a girl from a sinking ship. Breaking the rule to never bring a human to Themyscira, Diana learns that Alia is a Warbringer: a descendant of Helen of Troy destined to bring bloodshed and usher mankind into war. Diana decides to help break the Warbringer curse, forcing her to leave Themyscira and prove herself as an Amazon.

I love Wonder Woman, but I think this book suffered a bit from being published the same summer as the movie. I couldn’t help but compare the two the entire time I read this book. Leigh Bardugo is one of my favorite authors, but it did feel a bit weird to read a “contemporary” story written by her.

The best parts of this novel were undoubtedly the mythology woven into the action, and seeing what Themyscria is like for young Diana. Wonder Woman: Warbringer is wonderfully, unapologetically feminist, and there is great representation. Almost every character is a person of color, and there is one LGBTQIA character. The not-so-great aspects, for me, were definitely the pacing and the weird sort-of romance between Diana and a male character. There are some really great quotes and overall it’s an empowering story, but this just didn’t quite work as well as I expected. In terms of the DC Icons series, I’m intrigued to see Marie Lu’s take on teen Bruce Wayne, but I’m not interested in Superman or Catwoman (written by SJM…ugh).

Rating: 3.75

*I received an ARC of this from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

April 2, 2016 – Shelved
August 8, 2017 –
page 95
August 10, 2017 –
page 268
71.28% "I'm not loving this as much as I expected to..."
August 10, 2017 – Finished Reading