Kiwi Begs2Differ ✎'s Reviews > Rain Dogs

Rain Dogs by Adrian McKinty

bookshelves: mystery, thriller-horror, different-culture-or-language

Northern Ireland, the year is 1987, among the trouble in Ulster where police is routinely under the threat of car bombing, Inspector Duffy is called to investigate the petty theft of a wallet from a Finnish businessman hotel room.
Soon after this incident, a young journalist, who was reporting on the Finn delegation visit, is found dead in the courtyard of Carrickfergus castle. It looks like a suicide, until Duffy discovers that she was secretly working on a story about an international paedophile ring. Duffy is convinced that it’s murder and that the Finns are involved.

I really liked this Irish who-dunnit, or rather how-dunnit, because it is clear fairly on both the who and the why, the mystery is the how. It’s a typical closed room case set in a locked down castle. The pace is a bit slow at the beginning but it picks up quickly and the chase at the end is intense.
This was my first Adrian McKinty novel, despite being the fifth in the series, it was easy to follow (there are some references to a couple of Duffy’s past cases in the book, but that didn’t interfere with the story, which is self-contained).

To be honest, it took me a while to warm up to the character of the inspector. At the beginning it felt a bit of a joker, but I found the puns funny and by the end I liked him a lot (thanks to the author taking the time to explain the circumstances of Duffy personal life at the end of the book)
I enjoyed the throwbacks to the 80s, but it might be an age thing, and could be lost on the young.
I will certainly read more from this series; I plan to go back at the beginning with The Cold Cold Ground. Recommended to lovers of a good mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rain Dogs.

April 2, 2016 – Shelved