Nikki 's Reviews > The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Apr 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: classics

The third book for the twenty-four hour readathon! I have a World Book Night copy, given to me by my mother. Otherwise, I doubt I'd have read this without someone giving me a push toward it.

I don't know what I think of it, though. The character of Miss Jean Brodie is sort of fascinating, the things she says and believes, and the psychology of it all is actually quite interesting, but... It didn't really catch fire for me. The introduction by Candia McWilliam suggests that for some people it does, when they're fairly young even in many cases, but not so for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

K.D. Absolutely 2 means it's okay. at least you did not hate it!

For me I love the shifting narrative. Example: "K.D. is typing a reaction to Nikki's review. Unknown to him, one that very same day, April 11 but 10 more years, they will be seeing each other in Nikki's palatial home in Beverly Hills, CA."

I think in Wiki, the author of the entry about the book says that she popularized this. I particularly that part where one of the girls is described then Spark wrote that she would later be dying in a fire. It gave shivers. Imagine what if we knew what will happen to us few years from now haha.