Deb's Reviews > On Oakham Mount: A Pride & Prejudice Variation

On Oakham Mount by Sophia Meredith

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, jane-austen-ish, romance

It is a truth universally acknowledged that I will grab the Kindle Unlimited Pride & Prejudice variations that pop up in my recommendations and usually put down what I am currently reading to finish them. Such is the case with "On Oakham Mount"--a new P&P variation. Feeling the need to escape into the world of Austen after a trying week, I downloaded last night and finished it up today. Overall, I liked, but didn't love this variation. In the story, rather than supporting Lizzy in her refusal to marry Mr. Collins, Mr. Bennet tells her she must and an upset and betrayed Lizzy dashes out for a walk and is found crying by Mr. Darcy. The two connect somewhat reluctantly and he offers her a way out via a marriage of convenience to him instead and Lizzy accepts. This does not happen without a misunderstanding and sets the tone for a rocky path to a HEA with plenty more missteps and occurrences that take some twists from the original story. Under 300 pages, it often did not move as quickly as I would have liked and repeated itself, especially in the dialogue--particularly the Regency sayings and slang peppered through the story. At first, I found some of the expressions charming however it seemed like the author was putting in any and all she could think of and after the third or fourth "toad-eater," Friday-face, and "Coz" (what Col. Fitzwilliam calls his cousin Darcy), it became a slight annoyance, like trying to hard. The story ends well of course and there is a nice epilogue to wrap things up for the various characters that was nice. Not my favorite but a good first attempt and it appears the author has another book out this summer so I will likely give it a try too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Oakham Mount.

April 1, 2016 – Started Reading