Janice Williams's Reviews > A Writer's Guide to Transitional Words and Expressions

A Writer's Guide to Transitional Words and Expressions by Victor C. Pellegrino

Apr 09, 2011

bookshelves: reference
Read in April, 2011

This is a handy little book. It is small, but mighty. Consisting of 18 heavy-paper pages (after a few introductory pages), trimmed and bound in a staggered fashion, so you can find each topic quickly, this book is meant to be with the student or writer as they fine-tune and self-edit their work, looking for the best possible word or expression.

The topics are: To Indicate Time Order; to Indicate How or When something Occurs in Time; To Indicate Sequence; To Repeat; To Provide an Example; To Concede; To Conclude or Summarize; To Add a Point; To Compare; To Contrast; To Indicate Cause and Effect; To Divide or Classify; To Indicate Spatial Arrangement; To Emphasize or Intensify; To Connect Clauses; Substitutes for Said.

The author, Victor C. Pellegrino, taught writing and literature for 28 years and has an extensive professional background in writing and helping writers improve their work.

This book is worth the $16.95 price, because it is really more of a tool than a book. In fact, Pelligrino would be wise to explore having an app developed based on his book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Writer's Guide to Transitional Words and Expressions.

05/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Garrison I was going to write a review on - as you said, "This handy little book." but you beat me to it. (From the looks of it, by about 5 years, ha!)
I've had a copy for twenty plus years now and I found myself using it today. Great 'book' and great reveiw Janice. More writers should have a copy!