marlin1's Reviews > Someone New

Someone New by Zoë   Miller

I've never heard of Zoe Miller before, so was intrigued and happy to get a copy of this book to read and review from Netgalley.
This is not a psychological thriller in the heart thumping way. It's more gentle than that, just a few oddities here and there that don't mean much by themselves but when put together they may mean something more sinister. These are the kind of thrillers I enjoy.

This is almost three stories running parallel to each other but interlinked.
Grace had recently split from her long term boyfriend Gavin, when she meets Danny. She was feeling suffocated by Gavin since he had moved into her apartment 6 months previously, was it that he was just too nice or too intense?
Danny brought hope, laughter and carefree days into their relationship, he made Grace believe in herself, although he was very cagey about his previous life. But all this was brought to an abrupt end when he was killed in a motorbike accident.
We also meet Lucia, Grace's older sister, who is caught up in her perfect world, trying to keep control of her work and married life. Meeting Danny just a few times makes her question if it is all she wants it to be.
Then there is Matt, the policeman Grace deals with when some odd things start happening a few months after Danny has died. She goes to him as some unsettling things have been delivered to her and she also can't understand why Danny was killed in an area where he shouldn't have been, after all he was only going to pick up the pre ordered takeaway that night.
These stories were interwoven so well, I enjoyed them almost being held together by Danny and his thoughts on life, as they all grappled with their life choices.
I think this book touches on a multitude of subjects. From how we interpret things in our childhood and how they affect us in later life, to stalking and obsession.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and will be looking out for more of the author's books.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy to read and review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone New.

April 2, 2016 – Started Reading