tahirra1's Reviews > Written in the Stars

Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

Apr 01, 2016

liked it

Grrr!! I wrote a long ass review and it didn't save!!

Ok, so basically I loved the book. 3.5 stars, the -.5 from a solid 4 stars is because the writing level is middle grade, not much description, and not much of a climax/denouement.

What I appreciated most in the book was Naila's growth. She was so naive at first. I basically knew what was going to happen as soon as her parents wanted to take her to Pakistan. I was screaming at the book till she figured it out.

I also appreciated the fact that Naila (and the book in general) acknowledged there was no coming back from this as the same person. It was a thorough loss of innocence.

What separated this story from other forced marriage narratives was that no one was painted just as a monster.

You knew her parents believed what they were doing to her was what they thought was best for her.

You saw different characters succumb to cultural or familial pressures (Amin--in perhaps the worst way possible) or defy them (Selma, Feiza, Saif).

Because all the characters were Pakistani or Pakistani-American and all reacted differently in the situation presented, I don't agree with people saying it puts Pakistan or Pakistanis in a bad light. It is showing a REALITY for many people.

This was a page turner. I just wish after all the shit Naila went through that there was some satisfaction. I wanted to see that final confrontation with her parents.

Also, after all the fear her uncle inspired, he really didn't seem consequential. (view spoiler)

Over all, loved this book. Can't wait to read more of her work.

Just fyi: I found out about Saeed's book after following her on twitter because of her work with the "We Need Diverse Books" campaign. Check it out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written in the Stars.

April 1, 2016 – Shelved