Natalie's Reviews > A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-first Century

A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille

5241917
Apr 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: home-education-how-to
Read in October, 2010

This book really changed the way that I view education. As with any book, there are things I agree and disagree with. I liked the idea of a "core phase" of learning for a child. I believe that the young years of life are precious and should be spent in the home, learning the values of the family. There is no need for the drilling of facts at this stage, since the world is plenty full of things to discover. I have young children and after reading this book decided that I wanted to their young childhood years to be full of the freedom to discover the neat things around us rather than be in a classroom coloring stuff.

Some of my gripes in this book are his lofty claims that _this_ is the way to "build statesman." Really? Is this really how Thomas Jefferson was educated? Not once in the book did I see any reference citations to his claims that the great men and women of history were educated in this manner.

So, I do recommend this book if you are looking into alternative methods of education. There are many good principles found, but also some iffy claims.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thomas Jefferson Education.