G. Lawrence's Reviews > Brick Lane

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

Loved this book. The author makes the everyday and often sorrowful events of this woman's life poetic. It is about ordinary life, struggles, hardships, conflicts of faith, duty and culture, and yet for all that it is also beautiful... Giving the details of the good in life which comes with the bad... Showing Nazneen's love for her children, her understanding of god and faith, her sister's search for the life she wants... and although it wasn't always easy to read, it was captivating. The world of Nazneen came alive with scents... The lime, the spices, the earth and the rain. And I found myself oddly sorry for Chanu, Nazneen's husband who strives and strives to be known as an educated man, and yet never manages to achieve the dreams he has. Surrounded by his certificates, and never really seeing that his wife is so much more than the "simple village girl" he married, Chanu is as easy to sympathize with , for me, as he was to dislike. His arrogance and inability to see anything beyond his own wishes are so easy to dislike, and yet he fails so many times to become the man he dreams of being that I cannot help but feel for him. To create characters as complex as Chanu and Nazneen, not to mention the host of others, (Mrs Islam being rather like a Dickensian baddie to me) is truly a sign of great talent.

Its the kind of book which demands you pay attention, miss one sentence and you miss a huge part of the story. Its a keeper, going on the book shelf to be read again and again. Really enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brick Lane.

March 19, 2016 – Started Reading