Patricio's Reviews > Cell

Cell by Stephen King

Cell is an apocalyptical, complicated novel. It has one of the best beginnings King has written, but that's probably the only exciting thing in the first half of the book, besides the fast pace. However, as the plot moves forward, the book gets better.

In the first half, it didn't seem I was reading a King. I neither cared for any character but Alice and Rafe (the cat), nor wanted to know why the Pulse had happened. It was simply odd. Even the "phonies" (as they're called) weren't creepy. Just stupid, violent beings (probably this is the definition of zombies, now that I'm thinking...)

However, things warmed up (got the pun?), and I started caring for the other initial characters - Tom and Clay -, such as the ones that were added to the plot through the rest of the book.

The phonies were more explored in the second half of the book, and they evolved to more complex, interesting and creepy beings. I loved that. The Raggedy Man and those dreams were also quite intriguing, and gave a soul to the book.

Many people have problems with this kind of ending, but I actually liked it. It is seriously unnerving, but remarkable at the same time. I believe that one can forget some characters and what they did, but not the ending.

Overall, it's a really good book, but not awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cell.

Quotes Patricio Liked

Stephen King
“At bottom, you see, we are not Homo sapiens as all. Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. And that is what the Pulse exposed five days ago.”

Stephen King
“Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way.”

Stephen King
“What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.”

Stephen King
“Deduce is absurd and dangerous”

April 1, 2016 – Shelved
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 3, 2017 – Started Reading
July 3, 2017 –
page 35
7.4% "I loved the beginning."
July 4, 2017 –
page 84
July 5, 2017 –
page 263
July 6, 2017 –
page 340
71.88% "This is finally getting better!! :D"
July 7, 2017 – Finished Reading