Ellie's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: 2011ind-chal200bks, fiction, popular-escape

Well, I've gone all over GR saying negative things about Jodi Picoult which leaves me blushing when I write I really, really liked Nineteen Minutes. I held out as long as I could while reading it-I admit, I am compelled to read books about school shootings, such as Columbine by Dave Cullen and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. And so, despite my repeatedly dissing Jodi Picoult, of course I had to read 19 Minutes. And I have a number of complaints: the "ripped from the headlines" hook Picoult is so dependent on as well as her usual reliance of stereotypical characters which she only bothers to individualize slightly.

But, whatever truth or value my complaints hold, the fact remains: I could not stop reading. And if her characters are not memorable in the way I find Shriver's, neither are they ever unbelievable. And although the framework of her story comes out of the nightly news, she works in some extremely memorable plot twists. And I who pride myself on seeing a plot twist a mile away never saw them in this case, probably because I was so engrossed in each moment of the story I wasn't really thinking ahead.

And it was good. I felt this book was very, very good.

Maybe I'm predisposed to like it because of my interest in school shootings (maybe, in defense of so low an interest because I'm a teacher and because my daughter was about to enter high school at the time of the Columbine shootings but who knows?). On the other hand, I was probably just as predisposed to dislike it because of my rants about Picoult.

It's not so easy to admit changing your mind in front of (what feels like) the world.

But I have to be honest and admit I loved this book. And just like I did in We need to Talk About Kevin, as soon as I finished the last page, I felt compelled to read the book again.

So I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

Finished Reading
April 8, 2011 – Shelved
April 8, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011ind-chal200bks
April 8, 2011 – Shelved as: fiction
April 8, 2011 – Shelved as: popular-escape

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Nice review, Ellie. I've only read one of her books, Sing You Home, and found it mediocre. Still, I'm tempted to check out this one because of my interest in the subject.

Ellie Nancy wrote: "Nice review, Ellie. I've only read one of her books, Sing You Home, and found it mediocre. Still, I'm tempted to check out this one because of my interest in the subject."

I generally find her mediocre. I think it was the subject that really caught me on this one, not the writing.

Bria So glad you liked this one! Some of her writing falls short, but if you liked this one you might love the Pact by her