Hannah's Reviews > Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat

Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat by Katie Harnett

When I judged this book by its wonderful cover, I thought it was going to be a hilarious book. I was pleasantly surprised to find within a heartfelt, beautiful story with subtle touches of humor. The cat on Blossom Street belongs to no one and everyone at the same time--he wanders from house to house, acquiring different names for each person he encounters (Archie, Snufflekins,
Oliver, etc.). But one house is never visited--number eleven, where lonely old Mrs. Murray lives. When the cat shows up on her doorstep and disappears from his daily rounds, the concerned neighbors search for him and end up on Mrs. Murray’s doorstep. It turns out the cat has settled into Mrs. Murray’s peacefully quiet routine--knitting, sitting by the fire, watching television. He has, the neighbors realize, found a place to belong. 11 Blossom Street then becomes the most frequently visited house in the neighborhood, full of friends old and new.
In this age of hyper-connectedness of social media and smartphones, it is all too easy to forget how important simple human-to-human interaction is. And how that interaction is what builds a community that supports and shares with one another. And how those communities, strung together, are what could make our world a better place. Harnett has created a lovely reminder of the importance of noticing the loneliest, the neediest, in our midst. It is a necessary, touching reminder that will resonate for young and old, paired with warm, expressive, detailed illustrations that depict a beautifully diverse neighborhood. The text is minimal and the pacing superb, making this perfect for reading aloud, for storytime or bedtime. Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat, I love you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat.

April 1, 2016 – Started Reading