C.G. Drews's Reviews > Batman: Nightwalker

Batman by Marie Lu

bookshelves: read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, superheroes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

April 1, 2016 – Shelved
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 29, 2017 – Started Reading
December 29, 2017 –
page 100
36.76% "Um exactly 0% Batmanning has been done so far and I'm a little peeved."
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: superheroes
January 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

lacy [lacy’s library] Ugh. I'm quite saddened by this. I ADORE Batman. Like he is my favorite superhero after Deadpool (if we count him as a hero). I'm still going to read this because Batman but still sad. lol.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sad you didn't enjoy this one! I personally LOVED it but dude, FINISH THE MARIE LU SERIES!?!? Like finish The Young Elites THE ENDING.

message 3: by C Sarah (new) - added it

C Sarah Strafford I’ve been debating reading this and your the second reviewer I follow that really didn’t like it. I’ll probably skip it and just wait for Sarah Maas’s Catwoman - unless that one is a let down too (and with her last two books, it might be). I’m surprised though Marie Lu was so good at dark in Young Elites, I wonder why she shied away from being darker in this book. But I thought Legend was a bit unbelievable so I’m not shocked about this being unrealistic as well.

message 4: by C Sarah (new) - added it

C Sarah Strafford I liked Young Elites but felt pretty meh towards Legend - I read Legend over the summer and still haven’t bothered to finish the trilogy. The whole “volunteer work” at Arkhan Asylum strikes me as pretty silly too, I’m not sure I’d be able to get over that either. And tbh my only problems with Young Elites was that it didn’t go dark enough at times, so I’m not shocked that someone else would feel that way about her writing. I still need to read Warcross eventually so maybe I’ll read that before Batman? But that’s sort of a problem with YA dark fantasy in general, but there’s not enough of the type of fantasy I like in regular fantasy so eh.

message 5: by C Sarah (new) - added it

C Sarah Strafford Right! Young Elites felt so close to what it needed to be then it would shy away at the last second. The action was really good and the lead was a great villain protagonist, but in a few scenes the fact that it was YA and not an adult fantasy novel really showed. Especially with the, ahem, romance scenes. If Adelina is willing to kill people pretty easily I’m pretty sure a lot of other things wouldn’t have bothered her. I definitely agree - if you’re going to go dark go really dark! I’m not a fan of when authors try to be “edgy” though because that often learns to clichés and hammy-ness (at least in my opinion), but I like successfully dark fantasy. Do you have any good dark fantasy suggestions? I’m always looking for good ones!

Mikaela Do you think that you will read the next book in the series by Sarah J Maas?

ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️ Ah hell....pre Batman? 😑😑😑😑😑😑😑 I want my dark knight not the pre dark knight I may just pass on this one....

Brittany (BritReadsBooks) I feel the same way! I liked the book, but it definitely didn’t live up to hype. It was good, but not great! But I definitely LOVED Alfred (how could you not?!) and Madeleine was an interesting character. Bruce is the kind of character where you yell “TRAP!” and he walks into it anyway. Definitely better than Ben Affleck’s Batman though!

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise Luquette So sad that you had mixed feelings on this one. I usually like Marie Lu's books but if I see other mediocre reviews for this I might just pass on it

Dena (Batch of Books) I felt the same way for the most part. Fun, but underwhelming. I read Warcross afterwards and it was amazing.

message 11: by Ray (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ray To be honest, I rolled my eyes so many times at this book I was afraid they'd just roll out of my head

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I find myself wanting to like Marie Lu's books too but it just doesn't happen. But I so LOVE Batman.

Mizuki I'm glad that I'm not alone, I also find this community service in Arkham Asylum thingy ridiculous. And Bruce is even allowed to chat with inmates!??? You are right his lawyers should have been fired.

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) I agree about many things you said, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you cause like, I had heard so many mixed things that I went in expecting the worse lol. I love Batman and I was so afraid of disappointment that I lowered expectations to the ground, so I ended up having a better time than expected.