C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wonder Woman: Warbringer

Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2017, superheroes, young-adult, retelling, magical-fantasy

Okay so this was a definite pocketful of feministic glory. I confess I was worried! As much as I adore Leigh Bardugo, I actually hadn't (UNTIL NOW) read a superhero-adaption-novel that didn't make me feel like swallowing rusty sporks. But this reads fully like a decent superpowered exciting action adventure story and I thoroughly loved it! Even though I will confess it was rather slow. And who the heck knows what's going on with my paperback, but the font was so tiny I lost about 9 years off my eyeballs.

But 10/10 am willing to suffer for Diana.

ALSO NOTE: I actually knew NOTHING about Wonder Woman, apart from the duh obvious she's Wonder Woman before reading this. I haven't seen the latest DC film and I've read like maybe one comic??? I think??? So you can fully read and enjoy this without being a WW nerd. Just be a nerd though. Always be a nerd if you can.

L I K E S:
• Okay but do you know what I'm freaking out over? IT FEATURES STRONG FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS!!!!! I shouldn't have to be this excited BUT I AM. Because holy heck, I can't even remember the last time I read a good solid female friendship in YA that didn't dissolve into jealousy or cattiness over a boy. But WW gives us not one but TWO solidly epic, uplifting and empowering female friendships. I adored Alia and Diana's bond. They were sisters of war by the end, even if Alia was a smol breakable human nerd and Diana is like AMAZON EPIC. I'm so so impressed.
Feminism FTW. All the feminism. You will only see women empowered here. I think I have an emotion over this omg.
I also adored all the mythology of course! I didn't realise how steeped in Greek mythology this would be, sot hat was a pleasant surprise. Think Percy Jackson = but with epic girls.
It's also super diverse, with like ALL the characters being POC! Like how awesome is that?! Here is an action adventure story featuring POC in all the leading roles. (Except for Diana I think? But I'm not sure what her skin colour was. I was imagining her kind of Mediterranean complexion but she was made out of CLAY so like hello.)
It was so so funny! The dialogue and banter was like LAUGH OUT LOUD WORTHY!!!
It also has quite a bit cast, but everyone was so developed and complex. I mean Bardugo is the queen of epic casts and making characters so layered so fast.
I MEAN, JUST SO MUCH CHARACTER APPRECIATION. Diana and Alia take turns narrating, and then there's Alia's BFF, Nim, who is a designer and bi and entirely small and feisty. Then there's Theo who is like a gangly dork and super vain and hilarious and everyone kind of wants to kill him. #Nice. Also of course Jason, Alia's older brother, who is Mister Bossy Pants but loves his sister so much and just wants her safe. EPIC CAST IS EPIC.
Diana experiencing the mortal world was HILARIOUS. That will never get old omg I laughed so much.
There is very very little romance! I mean there's a bit, but like yay!
Also it would make a freaking fantastic movie. Just sayin'.
Also shoutout to that line where Diana is called a "magnificent tree". I appreciate all the small humans in this book continually asking her why she is as tall as a mountain.

D I S L I K E S:
okay, I hate to say it, but it was slow. It took me like forever to read and I frequently felt the plot was predictable. And then one twist in particular ((view spoiler)) didn't feel built up enough? So YAY for curve balls. But I wanted more grounding for them.
Also Diana was GREAT and I loved her, but she was So Pure So Perfect™ I struggled to be invested. I just connected to Alia way more. I enjoy heroes but also??? I prefer??? The dark side??? Excuse me???
I didn't quite understand why they were working their butts off to save Alia's life, but like....other people died in the crossfire. Ya know, just the nameless blokes. But I NEVER UNDERSTAND THIS TROPE. How come one life is worth more than another? I get that they were trying to "break" the Warbringer curse but stilllllll. Diana's immediately 100% commitment to keep Alia safe just doesn't click with my brain. I think this is because I'm a coldhearted Slytherin so pls don't mind me.

ALL IN ALL: Look it was wonderful (HAR HAR I COULDN'T RESIST) and empowering and so delightfully feminist. Maybe it didn't shock me and maaaaybe I wish it'd been faster paced because a whole lotta scenes felt a little like having a corn chip without guacamole, but it was really fun and the writing was A+ and the banter amazing. AM A FAN HERE.

(Also can we agree that Theo is Jesper Freaking Fahey? Because he is. 10000%.)

"Sure we do," said Theo, swatting at a branch. "We get to the spring, Alia gets cured. We argue over the best choice for our We Saved The World victory dance."
"I do enjoy your optimism," said Diana.

"It was woven by Athena on a spindle forged in Hestia's fire, of fibre harvested from Gaia's first tree."
"Big deal," said Theo. "You can probably get one on eBay."

"You cannot make this kind of decision," he said. "Go off with someone you barely know. You're seventeen."
"And you're the guy who got drunk on eggnog last Christmas and danced to 'Turn The Beat Around' in Aunt Rachel's wig, so stop acting like you're in charge."
"We agreed not to mention that ever again," Jason whispered furiously.

"Because the whole world loves to tell us what we can't do, that we aren't good enough. The people in your own house should be on your side. It's the people who never learn the word impossible who make history, becuase they're the ones who keep trying."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“You cannot make this kind of decision," he said. "Go off with someone you barely know. You're seventeen."
"We agreed not to mention that ever again," Jason whispered furiously.”
Leigh Bardugo, Wonder Woman: Warbringer

Leigh Bardugo
“Sure we do," said Theo, swatting at a branch. "We get to the spring, Alia gets cured. We argue over the best choice for our We Saved The World victory dance."
"I do enjoy your optimism," said Diana.
"And I admire your ability to lift a car over your head without breaking a sweat and look fine as hell doing it," said Theo with a bow.”
Leigh Bardugo, Wonder Woman: Warbringer

April 1, 2016 – Shelved
April 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2017 – Started Reading
August 27, 2017 –
page 50
13.3% "It's SO WEIRD reading about pure smol cinnamon brave Diana who will save someone without hesitation...when the last Bardugo book I read was like KAZ BREKKER OF MANIPULATION AND SNAKES AND DEATH."
page 76
20.21% "Diana: I'm normal.
Diana: I'm the weakest here.
Diana: I'm nothing special:
Diana: [JUMPS OFF A CLIFF AND DRAGS A BOAT OUT FROM UNDER THE WAVES]
Alia: sure dear whatever you say"
page 100
26.6% "Alia: I want like a dozen cupcakes.
Diana: Why don't you just eat a whole regular sized cake then?
Alia: IM TRYING TO GET ALONG BUT YOU'RE MAKING IT DIFFICULT."
page 188
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: retelling
August 30, 2017 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
August 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) Yes! Diana's perfectness made things a little snoozy. But I loved the friendships in this book so much!

message 2: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛ I am so excited, and yet so nervous to read this! I am a comic book nerd, and I read comics on the regular. Leigh Bardugo is one of my favorite authors, so I am hoping that this portrayal is true to the comics. If not, I may have an existential crisis. =P

Gwen Mitchell Not reading yet, because spoilers, but yay!!!! I'm so excited to see your rating on this. I have high hopes, and I'm meeting some bookstagram friends to go to a signing for it tomorrow! :D

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Valeska Awesome review, Cait!
I need this book in my life *-*

C.G. Drews @Brittany: Exactly! I've heard that's the same with the movie? But haha I'm just not used to such nice characters after Six of Crows. XD

@Vanessa: I REALLY REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE IT! No clue if it's like the comics. I'm guessing it'll be different though, since it's like a retelling/adaption?

C.G. Drews @Gwen: I didn't put spoilers in the review but I totally get wanting to go into the book blind, so GOOD LUCK!! :D

@Andrea: You do!

message 7: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Okay so I wasn't overly invested in the idea of this book even though I loved the movie (highly recommend it actually) BUT WHEN YOU MENTIONED FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS I'M IN.

C.G. Drews @BookHugger: Ikr?! We do NOT get enough epic and powerful female friendships in books. :')

message 9: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@BookHugger: Ikr?! We do NOT get enough epic and powerful female friendships in books. :')"

EXACTLY. I will cherish those that we have then!!!! ahhh

Delia this actually made me more excited to read it! I just picked it up and since I just finished six of crows, this is next!!

chloe ꒰♡ˊ͈ ु꒳ ूˋ͈꒱.⑅*♡ Love love love your review! I'm reading this right now and I'm lovin' it :D

Maggie BB I find your review encouraging, as I have yet to read anything you've enjoyed and not also enjoyed it... plus, I enjoy superheros! (and have a new found love for Wonder Woman after the recent movie...) Now I just need the post to DELIVER MY FREAKIN' BOOK...

Eunice YES, YES, YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!
Theo is Jesper Freaking Fahey! ❤
❤ ALL.THE.WAY! ❤

Stephanie A like for the use of the word "sporks" in a review.

Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm) And Diana was in NY is totally Matthias

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou OMG YAYA GLAD YOU LOVED IT. And you totally need to watch the movie if you haven’t now. Seriously it is SO FABULOUS and similar enough to the book that you will LOVE IT SO MUCH but not so similar that you’ll be like EW SAME STORY (believe me they are obviously not in the same universe like whatsoever) and ENJOY. MUCH ACTION SCENES MUCH FEMINISM FUN TIME.

message 17: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I’m devastated that quote wasn’t, “You can probably get one on Amazon.”

Great review, Cait!