Bryce's Reviews > The Black Swan

The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey

2205083
Apr 08, 2011

it was ok

At nearly 30, I think I've finally outgrown Mercedes Lackey. I've been reading her since early adolesence; along with Anne McCaffrey, she was my introduction to fantasy.

But I've reached a point -- either as a reader in general or just as a reader of her books -- that I need a lot more. Not ever story needs a happy ending. Not every feisty and headstrong (and magical) young woman ends up with a man that can truly appreciate her. Not every villian is a paper-thin caricature.

The Black Swan is another typical Lackey novel, with all the elements listed above fully present. Also included is a reworking of a traditional fairy tale, another story element ML loves to use. The hero-prince is bad, for about eighty pages or so, but he reforms under his own volition to become the expected feisty-woman-appreciating saintly guy.

I suppose this book will join the dozen or so Mercedes Lackey paperbacks in my bookcases. I fear the day when I grow tired of Stephen King. When that happens, my bookshelves will just be a bunch of now unappreciated memories from my past, that I'm too sentimental to get rid of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Swan.

April 8, 2011 – Started Reading