mith's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet Women

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

4.5! Going to have to wait a LONG time for the next book!
For those into mystery, I would HIGHLY recommend this! The mystery is wonderful, taking the span throughout the entire book a little bit at a time. It's told through various POVs--not just Charlotte's, which came as a surprise! Major key characters aren't introduced immediately, but at intervals, which I found immensely creative! I loved all of the characters, which is quite rare for me. Each had their own faults and insecurities and it made them all the more real. The setting and dialogue is extremely authentic and from the very beginning, I kept reading the book with a slight English accent in my mind (much to my embarrassment. Always happens when I hear the accent or read books that so clearly read as the posh accent.)
Also, there's some nice angst and TENSION!!! for those who are into it. Nothing too overwhelming, though, as it isn't the most important thing.
This was my very first Sherry Thomas book and I'm glad I really enjoyed it! You can tell she's no amateur when it comes to histories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet Women.

March 31, 2016 – Shelved
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-publication
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: historical
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: retellings
June 25, 2016 – Started Reading
June 25, 2016 –
26.0% "Slow but really enjoyable"
June 26, 2016 –
June 27, 2016 –
50.0% "omGGGG THAT WAS SO CREATIVE"
June 27, 2016 –
June 28, 2016 –
83.0% "Charlotte and Lord Ingram give me feeeeeelings"
99.0% "SCREAMING"
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: not-so-american
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: series
June 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 21, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Mim (new)

Mim Does the romance get resolved in this book?

mith Seeing as this is the first book in a series, I would say it does not. There's one thing at the very, very end, but it also kind of leaves it on a thread--if that makes sense?

Vanessa This book makes me so curious! Can I ask if there's a Watson, in this series? :)

mith There is! A Watson along with the other crucial characters as well! They're all revealed in due time and it's honestly remarkable. I think you'll enjoy it!

Vanessa Aw thank you so much!

message 6: by Mim (new)

Mim I was wondering if it would be a courtship spread through out the series or if the first book would establish them as a wife/husband team, so that answers my question. I can't wait to read the book, Sherry Thomas is my catnip.

mith I'm glad! I wish I could help you out a little more, because the small romantic arc in this is kind of...problematic.