tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > HUM WHO HICCUP

HUM WHO HICCUP by Chris Mason

bookshelves: poetry

A new bk by Chris Mason! That IS a cause for celebration - & maybe even some cerebration. I've know Chris since about 1977, at the latest by 1979. Alas, any time I honestly review a bk by anyone I take the risk of alienating myself from the author(s). This, of course, is an even worse dilemma when the author's a friend of mine, when the bk was given to me by the author, signed, no less. Wch isn't to say that I'm going to give this a 'bad' review. As usual w/ my reviews, the absence of a rating is an indication of the irrelevance of such ratings & NOT the lowest rating of them all.

Chris has been involved w/ performance poetry for as long as I've known him. Most of his poetry has a visual element beyond just the appearance of the words on the page. Given that I expect poetry to be engaged as fully as possible w/ its potential, having these 2 elements practically insures a heightened interest from me.

But Chris certainly doesn't stop there. For +/- 30 yrs Chris has worked w/ deaf people w/ learning disabilities. I don't know whether he still does but I reckon he still does. It's his profession - one of them, at least. This means that his work is often influenced by the lingual encounters of sd profession. There's been sign language used in early works & abbreviated & mutant grammar. I've always found it rich & fascinating.

In the late 1970s he was a member of the performance group CoAccident - wch was a subset of the Merzaum Collective. Another subset of Merzaum was its publishing arm(s): "e pod" magazine (unfortunately short-lived), "pod books" (who published Chris's 1st bk: "Poems of a Doggy" - 1977), & "Widemouth Tapes" (founded by Chris around 1979 & taken over by me from 1981 to the present: ). In 1979, he & Charlie Brohawn, another old friend of mine, started "The Tinklers", a performance group who've released tapes, records, & CDs.

The Tinklers, for me, were an outgrowth of Charlie's interest in Outsider Art & in earlier projects of Charlie's - such as recordings he'd made w/ a neighbor friend - & in a collaboration w/ Lamar Layfield called "STEEV-E SQUEEGEE DECODE" (not written correctly here due to technical limitations). The more performative aspects of it came largely from Chris's background.

At 1st I was very interested in The Tinklers. I particularly loved their performance called "History of the World" & their early artist's bks & tape were wonderful: The "History of the World" chart & the "Tinklers Book" were phenomenal. But as the work developed more & more into what I thought of as simpler 'faux naive' I started losing interest somewhat - not entirely, just somewhat. "Manifest Destiny" was simpler, &, I thought, lazier. I did like the later "The Tinklers Encyclopedia" alot.

But what bothered me about their progression was that they started making paintings-in-the-style-of-naive-folk-art. I'm sure they genuinely LIKE this style & a similarly styled painting adorns the cover of "HUM WHO HICCUP" but I didn't really consider either of them to be naive! After all, Charlie graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art as a painter & Chris graduated from Johns Hopkins University.

The simpler & more affected The Tinklers got, the less I was interested in them. As their music went from creatively primitive to just simple-minded I no longer enjoyed it. After all, there are a zillion people out there writing songs to be sung backed by the simple strumming of simple string instruments - who needs more of that? & there are zillions of people out there making unskilled art depicting simple subjects in simple representational ways - who needs more of that? WELL, the answer, perhaps, to "who needs more of that?" may be NO-ONE (it certainly ain't me) BUT most people seem to love it & The Tinklers are popular (at least in a cultish sortof way). SO, the more The Tinklers became simple folk artist pop musicians & less experimental primitives the more I lost interest.

BUT, w/ that sd, The Tinklers & Chris Mason STILL manage to transcend simple categories. They both bring more to the work than yr average whomever. I'm very fond of, eg, a more recent Tinklers song called "Slowpoke" about a truck driver who decides to drive slower than the rat race might require b/c he realizes that his kid(s) wd rather that he LIVE than risk an accident in the interest of making more money (or, at least, that's the way I remember it).

Enter "HUM WHO HICCUP": it doesn't have the raw plant-like growth of rich reference to complex life that his much earlier "Click Poems" did, & I miss that, but there's still a richness to it - less abrasive, perhaps, w/ aging, but still showing growth & an interesting clarity. Older people's work may not have the explosive energy of that of their younger selves but there's sometimes a deeper sense of harmony & concision (take Liszt's later piano pieces). That seems to be the case here.

The formal parameters are constrained & precise, everything is tied together neatly. EG: 4 syllables per corner of each page, 4 corners used - this in "Tetracubes".

Don't be fooled: Chris, like myself, is getting older. His memory is probably getting worse, he may seem to be slow - but don't be fooled: his poetry's a dead giveaway that he has long-term patterns of thinking at a level that few ever achieve. Take one of his riddles:

"Eighty-four
billion bucks:
diarrhea
gone from Earth.
People cheer,
"We love you,
U.S.A.!"
When are we?"

Really the only complaint I have about this bk is the bio in the back: it mentions the records & CDs released by Shimmy Disc & Serious but there's no mention of the 2 tapes that Widemouth publishes & that's just plain stupid. IMO, the Widemouth Tinklers tape is the best recording they ever made - & Chris's "Click Poems Liptych / Ignorant Translations" tape (the latter half w/ Ellen Carter) was my favorite spoken word recording until my own "Broken Whirred" came along. C'mon, Chris! REALLY!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read HUM WHO HICCUP.

Started Reading